What DVD Recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old December 19th, 2004, 06:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What DVD Recorder

What DVD recorder with DV IN!

Should I look for DVD recording decks (not in computer) that can burn to DVD-R as I heard that is the best for compatiable issues!!!????
Antony Quintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #2
Wrangler

I use a Sony RDR-GX7 and am happy with it. It has Firewire input. I also use it to transcode firewire to component output to drive my monitor which works very well.

However you need to be aware that these standalone decks don't allow a lot of customization of the DVD. That's fine for what I'm doing - just burning footage to DVD's, but if you want fancy menus, etc. then this deck (and most of the consumer models AFAIK) don't really allow that. You can create chapters with titles, but that also gets tedious choosing letters with a joystick on the DVD recorder remote.

When you burn a disk at maximum quality you get 60 minutes and it looks very good, hard to tell from the original DV. Have not experiemented much with the lower quality recording modes.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2004, 07:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I have a Pioneer and am pleased with it. One thing to look for in the manual is how to setup Chapters. This setting determines how many minutes of video the player will skip when you press the >> buttons. Firewire out is very handy for dubbing to your camcorder or computer of material you have rights to. They'll not work on copyrighted/protected material AFAIK.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #4
Major Player

I have been reading about the new Sony deck that does 16x/12x, and works either standalone with your HT or connected via USB2 to your ocmputer. Seems like the bext of both worlds. I htink SRP is about $300, but I don't have model number handy. It was in bunches of mags this past month.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring