DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   What format to convert to for DVD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/37095-what-format-convert-dvd.html)

Jeff Parker December 30th, 2004 05:41 PM

What format to convert to for DVD

I am using a Canon GL2 with FCE for post. After I am done with my project, and want to export for DVD, What is the best format to convert to? I converted one to MPEG-4 and after using iDVD to burn it, I stuck the DVD in my home DVD player, (excuse the lingo) and it looked like crap.

Please, someone tell me this is not as good as it gets.

Dave Perry December 30th, 2004 09:57 PM

iDVD will convert your files to MPEG2 which is what is on a DVD. In iDVD set your preferences to give priority ty Quality rather than Speed.

In FCE, export your footage as Final Cut Movie, choose Include: Audio and Video make sure the Make Movie Self Contained box is checked.

This will give you a full resolution file to use in iDVD. Whne you export as an MPEG 4 you are compressing the file to begin with, then iDVD compresses it again.

Valeriu Campan January 2nd, 2005 06:37 PM

Following Dave's advice, make the self contained movie. If you have Toast 6, NTI DragonBurn... just drag it in... You can make a DVD or vCD. You don't get any fancy graphic interface, but it works very well.

Jeff Parker January 2nd, 2005 07:15 PM

Thanks Dave and Valeriu, with your help I did it right this time. Just kind of thought it would look better than it does. Im using a GL2 and it seems my Sony D8mm looks every bit as good. I am sure the Canon has other settings I can play with. Guess I want too much too fast. Is it just me or does the DVD's you rent look better? Just seems like I could get a bit closer to a crisp looking video. I am looking at it on a Mitsubishi 1080i, and even in 480 it's less then I thought.

I hope it is just me doing something wrong. Thanks guys.

Dave Perry January 2nd, 2005 07:36 PM

Jeff,

I didn't know you were viewing it on a Hi Def set. In general, standard def stuf fis going to look worse on the and HD set than it will on a standard def set.

Rental DVDs of major hollywood movies involve much more than just shooting footage and putting it on a DVD. Obviously the budgets are larger and the situations are mostly controled.

Jeff Parker January 2nd, 2005 07:46 PM

Dave, I kinda thought that was the reason. I was just hoping with my GL2, MAC G5 and I could turn out a better looking video. Tell me this Dave, If I were to do all my editing then put it back on tape (mini dv) then play it on my TV, would it look better? The wheels in my head are turning as you may tell. Looked at your site and thought... This guy knows his stuff! Hope I am not asking too many questions.

Thanks Dave

Dave Perry January 2nd, 2005 09:31 PM

Jeff,

It would probably look better but not by much. Also, you would not be able to distribute your work as readily.

A thought just came to mind. If you are viewing your stuff on a HD set that is also widescreen 16:9 and shooting in 16:9 mode on a GL2, then you are losing resolution which will cause a degradation in quality. The GL2 does not shoot true 16:9. It chops off the top and bottom of the frame to get the 16:9 aspect ratio. iDVD currently does not support 16:9 either. There is talk about the next version supporting it though.

Joe Matiacio January 4th, 2005 09:51 PM

I can verify what Dave just stated. Shot some game action in 16:9 and the video is not nearly as crisp as std 4:3 format, from a Canon as it is a 16:9. I created a iDVD CD, with 4:3 and picture quality on a Sony HD TV is excellent. I also turn off Digital Zoom to maintain quality.

Hale Nanthan September 3rd, 2010 01:45 AM

MPEG 2.

Convert HD format to iDVD
How to convert HD footages for authoring with iDVD?