Which DVD authoring program? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Which DVD authoring program?

Hello everyone, it has been sometime since I posted. I am looking at buying Vegas 5.0, and am wondering if I should get the + dvd suite version, or is there a better solution for authoring DVD's out there? How about Dolby Digital too? Please give me a few directions to start researching. I am looking at getting the Vegas software the next couple of days (Working on a music video for some friends) and just wanted to know the best route for DVD. I want something that will produce professional looking dvd's, not overly concerened about price, Thanks for the advice.

Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 07:10 PM   #2
Trustee

vegas is a very cost-effective package, if you don't have any other editing tools already... they include the dolby digital encoder, but then again, so does liquid edition... but that software is a bit buggy.

making music videos sounds like a good reason to get vegas, because it has killer audio capability... the problem with these all-in-one packages is that something is usually lacking, typically, high-end features... with le, the mpeg2 encoder is single-pass only, while vegas includes the two-pass mainconcept encoder, which is pretty nice.

i would download the vegas demo, and look at things like the limitations of the menu creation side of the fence... is it sophisticated enuf for you? the dvdlab people have a nice, cheap menu creation tool that you can demo, and use as a basis for comparison... also check out dvdlab pro for dvd authoring.

i've used reeldvd quite a bit, it's rock-solid for compatibility, but it's kind of long in the tooth these days.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 04:58 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

Keep in mind that the "Dolby Digital", which is really called AC3
(technically), only comes with the complete package, that is:

Vegas + DVD Architect!

DVDA is perfectly fine for creating DVD's, however, your question:

" is there a better solution for authoring DVD's "

Is basically unanswerable. What is better? It solely depends on
your needs and what you find comfortable to work with. So what
do you need in a DVD authoring application?

For example:

- full access to scripting language
- multiple audio languages
- subtitling
- multiple video angles
- hybrid DVD's with ROM content

etc. etc.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #4
New Boot

I have Vegas but I couldn't get into DVD Architect. I found it overly complicated and it took 12 steps to make an interesting effect where Ulead DVD Workshop only took 2.

Try and see if you like it, if not, give DVD Workshop a try, just import MPEG2 streams iinto it from Vegas. Oh, and DVD Workshop has a very good built in AC3 encoder. YOU NEED AC3, believe me.

MB
Moe Belli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 02:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Well I am new to this and wondering what is that interesting effect you are talking about Moe ?
Also, I am interested in animated background, ie which software has this feature.
Darko Tomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #6
New Boot

By interesting effects I mean stuff like motion backgrounds, motion buttons, animated icons/objects, text/type effects and advanced playlists.

I played around with Sony DVD Architect and while it seemed that it could do a lot of this stuff, it didn't do it as easily as DVD Workshop. Although in all fairness, it has a great firewire monitor preview feature and seems more stable than DVD Workshop.

I was trying to find a link at Ulead where they had a video on DVD Workshop which showed off all the great effects it can do, but I couldn't find it for you, so they might have taken it down.

Again, I used most authoring programs including DVD Lab and Encore and DVD Workshop seemed the best of the lot (as long as you can get over it's non-Windows like interface).

I mean for example, you launch DVD Workshop, use one of their excellent motion background templates, drag your video clips into the template, a motion button of the video is automatically generated for you, slap an FBI warning or an opening montage like your company logo in their "first play" icon -- and there you go, you have a damn impressive looking DVD for like five minutes of your time. No way could I could do that, that quickly with Encore or DVD Architect.

Also, one click and you can add auto chapters to your video at specified intervals.

This is just my opinion of course, but I'd really recommend you try a few of these authoring packages and see for yourself.

By the way, I don't encode MPEG2 nor AC3 with my authoring programs, I use Canopus Procoder and the TMPGenc AC3 plugin, so in regards to it's MPEG 2 encoding quality compared to others, I have no idea. I have use it to encode AC3 from a program stream though, and it works very well with that.

MB
Moe Belli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring