Compressing Vegas MPEG-2 with Cleaner for DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 19th, 2005, 01:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Compressing Vegas MPEG-2 with Cleaner for DVD

I want to make a DVD with a TON of footage. I rendered footage with Vegas in MPEG-2 format for the DVD. The only problem is that my footage is about 4 times too big for the DVD. So, instead of making 4 DVDs, does anybody have any good recipies for compressing MPEG-2 footage in Cleaner?

I've come up with some pretty good Windows Media and Real Player recipies, but I don't know much about MPEG-4.

Really what I need to do is cut the file size down to a forth of it's original size without it being that noticable on a TV screen.

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #2
Trustee

dvd's that'll work in the current desktop players can only be mpeg2, although if you are doing this for personal use only, you can encode to the xvid mpeg4 format, there are a couple of commercial dvd players that'll handle it.

you do not want to re-compress mpeg2 with windows media or anything else, it'll look like garbage... since you used vegas to edit with, just export wmp or whatever you want directly from vegas instead.

i doubt that cleaner has a better mpeg2 encoder than vegas does.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Cleaner doesn't. My first run through Cleaner doubled the file size and I really couldn't get the file smaller than 2/3 of the original size.

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring