best work flow for hdv if the output will be a dvd or a betacam? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old March 2nd, 2005, 01:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

best work flow for hdv if the output will be a dvd or a betacam?

hi, i just got my hdv sony cam, and also just ordered the mini35 conecting kit to use my mini35 rig with it but i have some questions on how to approach this new thing, first i have a PC p4(3ghz) with a matrox rtx100 card.and PPro 1.5

workflow (A)
1 shoot hdv 1080i 60i (no doubt in this one)
2 capture hdv (using vegas, and forget about matrox RT)
3 edit in hdv (using aspect hd, and sell my rtx100 at ebay)
4 downconvert to SD (for the broadcast tv stations "beta" or dvd for clients archives)

workflow (B) "The Shannon Rawls experiment"

1 shoot hdv CF24
2 downconvert to SD (using the Shannon Rawls post on getting good 24p out of CF24)
3 edit in 24P SD timeline (i could use my matrox rt100 here)
4 export with a 2-3-3-2 pulldown( toa 24p DVD or betacam)

workflow (C)

1 shoot 1080i 60i
2 downconvert in vegas
3 deinterlaced and edit in PPro 16x9 30p timeline (i could use my matrox RT here)
4 export to DVD or Betacam

Workflow (D)

same as workflow (C) but in step 2 downconvert in camera.

please i need some advise as you see even for a simple SD output theres plenty of choises. Ill be doing music videos and as i have a mini35 adapter i look foward for a progressive framerate to enhance the look of the DOF and 35mm lenses angles that i get with my mini.

thanks
Rafael Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 03:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Personally, I would go with option A to edit at full HDV resolution and downsample at time of output, unless you can find a really good reason why any other approach has some practical benefit. If you keep full resolution until the end then you have the option to generate both HD and SD output without too much fuss and bother, which should be the preferable solution for any HDV project. Look at it this way: when you're doing an SD project which you know is going to be downsampled to lower resolution for web distribution, do you do that downsampling before you start editing? Heck no! Same thing goes for HDV to SD.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring