DVD burner recommendations? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:34 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

DVD burner recommendations?

Ok, so the CD burner drive seems to be screwed, won't read disks, period.

Seems like it might be time to buy a DVD burner. Anyone have any recomendations? I got one guy telling me the Pioneer A05 is good (though they may not make it anymore), but that thing's around $300, while I have another guy telling me his off-brand, $90 burner works just fine.

Opinions? This whole thing is new to me.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Here is one I just picked up from NewEgg

I did a little research and found the NEC was one of the highest rated, it met the requirements I needed and just happened to be really cheap as well. ($61.99 currently, I paid $64 on 1-29-05) It replaced my aging Pioneer A04. The only thing I didn't like was that it came with Roxio's software instead of the Nero software that I was used to. It will even do a Dual Layer DVD+ burns at 4X on 2.4X media (no others will do that, oops edit: the DVR-108 will do it as well and would be my close second choice) NEC is supposed to offer a firmware upgrade to allow burning Dual Layer DVD-R disks (when it is available). Quite the bargain I thought.

I'll add that I have only used it to burn about 25 DVD's and 4 CD's so far but they have all gone without a hitch.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:50 PM   #3
Wrangler

Re: DVD burner recommendations?

<<<-- Originally posted by Josh Bass : the Pioneer A05 is good (though they may not make it anymore), but that thing's around $300 -->>>

??? That $300 price is way out of line. Pioneer burners are around $100, a little less for the OEM versions.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 05:56 PM   #4
Slash Rules!

You're probably right. I did a search on Yahoo shopping or something silly like that, found some with that tag on 'em. Maybe they're not what I thought they were. Whatever--good to know a good burner is much much cheaper.

Thanks boys.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring