editing with dvd recorder? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 26th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #1
Major Player

editing with dvd recorder?

hi all,
was just thinking. with so many new dvd recorder with 1394 link in the market, has anyone tried using it to do linear editing?

ed
Ed Liew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #2
Wrangler

I have a Sony RDR-GX7 DVD recorder. It's very handy to quickly dump something to DVD, but you can't do any "editing" with it. For starters, it only has firewire input, not output. So in other words, you can send DV to it via firewire and burn a DVD, but you can't send DV out to capture in you NLE. When I got this recorder (almost 2 years ago) none of the consumer models had firewire output, but that may have changed. It is also very limited in putting together DVD's, you have to use the generic chapter menu that's built in, and you have to enter all your text using the remote which is tedious.

Maybe new models support other features, but I haven't seen them. Then of course, everything is MPEG2 compressed, so you would lose quality going to and from DV which wouldn't be so great for editing.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #3
Major Player

hi boyd,
well, it would be nice to edit offline using one dv source to the dvd recorder. just think, the time we would be able to save cutting a preview vision of our work for the client to preview especially those long and boring seminar footages;o)

ed
Old March 26th, 2005, 09:28 PM   #4
Inner Circle

With direct-to-disk recorders like the firestore you could probably get the advantages of both linear and non-linear editing.

Record onto the disk recorder and it's already digitized. Firewire out to DVD recorder, or figure out how to encode really fast and burn at 8X/16X speed.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #5
Major Player

i like the direct to disk recorder but still not many choice when it come to hardware with analog input and output.

just did a search on google and found this http://www.jvc.co.uk/site/homepage/vdr_web/combination/hdd_dvd.html it seems jvc deck can actually edit footages recorded on it harddisk and dub it out to dv or dvd. very handy i might say.

ed
Old March 26th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The nNovia recorder has the ability to input/output analog?

There's a forum here dedicated to direct-to-disk recorders so it's definitely worth checking out if you feel such a device would benefit your workflow.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #7
Major Player

thanks glenn for the info.

ed
Ed Liew is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring