DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   Final DVD washout colors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/41911-final-dvd-washout-colors.html)

Alexis Vazquez March 27th, 2005 02:18 PM

Final DVD washout colors

Washout colors on every final dvd burn session.

In the timeline (Edius) everything looks great.

When exporting no matter which settings using Procoder still looks great.

When imported in Adobe Encore the preview looks ok.

But when the DVD is done, all colors are washout, specially black is an awfull grey, why?

I've tried different transcoding setting and final result is the same.

Can anyone guide me here, what can I be doing wrong?

Alexis

Dan Euritt March 28th, 2005 12:02 AM

>>>But when the DVD is done, all colors are washout, specially black is an awfull grey, why?<<<

are you seeing this problem on a t.v. or a computer monitor?

Alexis Vazquez March 28th, 2005 06:55 AM

Dan:

Thanks for your response.

This is viewing the final DVD on TV (from DVD Player direct to TV)
and also previewing timeline on TV wich looks ok.
I always use TV out (from Canopus Storm 2) to preview, except Encore wich dont allow this but in the monitor looks good.

The difference is so big is like changing a 100% black to a 80% grey or even worst. Unbelievable!

Alexis

Robert Mann Z. March 28th, 2005 07:08 AM

how are you rendering your files to mpeg?

take the mpeg files back into edius and see if they look ok on your external monitor...

are you using the same tv for preview and playback, is it calibrated..?

Christopher Lefchik March 28th, 2005 08:37 AM

I had a similar experience when I did a conference DVD series a couple years ago. It turned out that what I was seeing was the DVD player adding the 7.5 IRE setup, which raised the levels (particularly the shadows) and made the image appear less saturated.

You can see if this is the case by checking for a setting in your DVD player setup menu that turns the 7.5 IRE on/off. On my DVD player it's labeled "Black Level." Try toggling it on and off and see how it looks. Of course, if you are in NTSC land it should be on, but nonetheless it may explain what you are seeing.

Mark Williams March 28th, 2005 08:50 AM

good suggestion

Alexis Vazquez March 28th, 2005 05:48 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Mann Z. : how are you rendering your files to mpeg?

Lots of different setting with same or worst results.

take the mpeg files back into edius and see if they look ok on your external monitor...

Yes they look ok.

are you using the same tv for preview and playback, is it calibrated..? Yes same TV, calibrated no.

No IRE settings on this DVD. -->>>

Christopher Lefchik March 28th, 2005 05:54 PM

Quote:

No IRE settings on this DVD.
Do you mean there is no black setup option in the setup menu of your DVD player?

Robert Mann Z. March 28th, 2005 10:42 PM

<<<--
Lots of different setting with same or worst results.

take the mpeg files back into edius and see if they look ok on your external monitor... -->>>

my question was which app, but if the encoded files look fine then the issue is your dvd player, once encoded color information is not changed in the authoring or burning process of making a dvd

the only other thought is that your canopus setting are off, did you look at your ire settings in edius' IRE display...?

Alexis Vazquez March 29th, 2005 06:39 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher Lefchik : Do you mean there is no black setup option in the setup menu of your DVD player? -->>>

At least I can't find it, I did found it in other dvd players I have (3)
all of them off by default.

"my question was which app, but if the encoded files look fine then the issue is your dvd player, once encoded color information is not changed in the authoring or burning process of making a dvd"

Hi Robert, I tried in another DVD player it looks the same except if I change the IRE setting it looks better but not as good as the timeline. I don't think is the DVD player, I can play other dvd's from originals movies, to original DVDr 's (from others) and they all look great except the one I burn.

------------------------------

the only other thought is that your canopus setting are off, did you look at your ire settings in edius' IRE display...?

Could be off or perhaps on, I have done so many changes I really don't remember how was it since the beggining of this session :-(

Point here is Why does it looks ok while previewing it from the timeline and not when the disc is done.

God I almost to give up.

---------------------------------

I had burned over ten dvds already, yesterday I bought a 50 spindle package and I'm willing to burn'em all until I get this done,
so guys bring some settings, changes, ideas, anything.
The coffee is done I'm not gonna sleep today!

Question:

This was an analog capture thru Canopus Storm, while capturing was it supposed to have IRE setting at 0 or 7.5? Again in playback, is it supposed to be at 0 or 7.5?

Thanks guys for all your help

Christopher Lefchik March 29th, 2005 10:53 AM

Quote:

Question:

This was an analog capture thru Canopus Storm, while capturing was it supposed to have IRE setting at 0 or 7.5? Again in playback, is it supposed to be at 0 or 7.5?
I know on the Matrox RT.X100 the 0/7.5 IRE setting affects the levels of captured analog video. I don't know how this works on the Canopus Storm. Maybe someone here with a Canopus Storm can help. You might have more luck asking this question on the Canopus Storm message board.

While I could be wrong, this problem does sound like the one I had. My video looked fine played from the timeline, but once I played it back on the DVD player that's when I noticed the gray looking shadows. I tried importing the MPEG file into my editor and playing it back from the timeline, and it looked fine. And just like you, all the other commercial DVDs I had played on my DVD player looked fine.

You can see an exchange I had with a Pinnacle tech (I was using Pinnacle Impression for authoring DVDs) about the lightened shadows/reduced saturation of my DVD at http://webboard.pinnaclesys.com/read...ead=1082&lng=1. (I posted under the user name "DanielD".) Note that unless you're a logged in user of the Pinnacle forums the messages are arranged with the newest at the top, so to read the posts in order you need to start at the bottom.

The Canopus Storm IRE settings would be one other avenue to pursue. If those aren't right you would have a problem.

Alexis Vazquez March 29th, 2005 02:25 PM

15 DVD's burned, 25 cup of coffee, conect, disconnect, format, reinstall, update, almost in a break down and walla ... the Problem is solved! Thanks to you guys and the friends at Canopus. (Insert applause here please)... more, more....thats it.

It was the IRE settings. Settings must be at 7.5 for analog capture.... just that...a simple click, can't believe so much trouble can cause a simple check box, oh man.

Thank to all of you guys for all your help.

Alexis

That was the lesson of the day....

Christopher Lefchik March 29th, 2005 02:34 PM

Glad you got your problem solved!