Building a 9 Bay DVD Duplication Tower... - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old November 16th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Source for DVD Duplicators?

I am building a duplicator, but I am not clear on whether I am supposed to use an "image" file (.iso extension when I create using Encore DVD) or do I use a DVD that has already been burned as the source for duplicator?
Ken McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 05:12 AM   #62
New Boot

Do you have a manual with the controller you bought? it should explain it in there. If not, I owuld go with the dvd as the source to store from.
Cory Weekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 08:15 PM   #63
Regular Crew

I downloaded the manual (I am still awaiting delivery of the controller unit), but they are not specific about the nature of the source. Maybe I am making this much more complicated than it needs to be and all I have to do is burn a DVD and load it into the dvd-rom of the duplicator, save it to the hard drive, and start duplicating. That is my best guess, but I was hoping some of the existing users out there could clarify this one for me....
Ken McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 09:09 PM   #64
Tourist

Any Problems with the DVD 399?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough
I built an 11 bay about a month ago.

I've got a Wyrton 399 controller and Pioneer 110D burners. I've got a Lite-On DVD-ROM reader drive and a 160 GB hard drive.

Currently I've only got 3 burners in, but the card is expandable to 9 so I'm adding one at a time when I get significant orders. Should be at a full 9 by the end of the year.

It's great, works flawlessly.

The only issue really to plan for is the hard drive. It partitions the drive based upon either CD, DVD or Dual layer DVD. So the partitions are either 800MB, 4.7 GB, or 9 GB. This is important because on my 160GB drive I get 24 partitions. I can load 24 different images onto it. So a 200 MB CD image takes a 4.7 GB partition.

So you end up needing a bigger hard drive than you might think to hold all your stuff.

I also built a 9 target with the Wytron DVD-399 all of a sudden using the Load function at start-up it appears to no longer copy to the hard drive first. but will work with the Copy function disc to disc ! got any ideas ? I took the 120 gig hard drive out and checked it it appears to be ok. I reformated it did not know if it just got full or if the controller keeps the drive up to date. It still wont work... went thru the set up again if you have no ideas I guess it is back to company with the card and just when I was getting a fairly decent job to copy ?

if anyboody else has had this problem I would appreciate any help . I have updated the firmware to 3.27 I think is the latest

Larry
Larry Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 07:23 AM   #65
New Boot

A couple questions

Greetings,

I'm new to the forum, I signed up here mainly for this thread. I'm planning on building a duplication tower and this thread has been the single best resource on the web for me!

My first question is, does a tower need any software, other than what comes with the hardware? Or is that not necessary at all? For example, some of the burner drives come with Nero or other burning software. Is that necessary for the burners to work? Or can that be detrimental for compatibility with the controller card?

My other question is, how do you upgrade firmware? Do you hook up the controller, DVD drives etc. to a computer, download firmware off the web and install it like that? Do you burn firmware to a disc and run it in the drives? How does that work?

Thanks for the help, I'm glad I've found this place and I'm glad to be here.
Jake McKensy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #66
Tourist

My first question is, does a tower need any software,

Controller cards have all the software you need for copying and other functions a little bit of a learning curve on each card.

My other question is, how do you upgrade firmware?

I've never ungraded my firmware but the Manuel for the card will describe how to download the firmware and copy to a CD then that is placed in the read drive to update all the drives.. at once. I use a Acard 9 burner model card with Pioneer 16 X burners

Larry Pierce
Larry Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #67
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pierce View Post
My first question is, does a tower need any software,

Controller cards have all the software you need for copying and other functions a little bit of a learning curve on each card.

My other question is, how do you upgrade firmware?

I've never ungraded my firmware but the Manuel for the card will describe how to download the firmware and copy to a CD then that is placed in the read drive to update all the drives.. at once. I use a Acard 9 burner model card with Pioneer 16 X burners

Larry Pierce
No, the controller card you buy takes care of the duplication control. Firmware, not sure.
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #68
New Boot

Thanks

Thanks for the replies Larry and Steven. I'm about ready to make my purchases. Any other pointers people have on this subject is welcome. Thanks again.

Jake
Old May 13th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #69
New Boot

Burner Drives?

Is it a good idea to stay away from OEM drives as general practice? I'm reading reviews at newegg and every drive out there has negative reviews mixed in with the positive ones. It makes me feel like I'm just rolling the dice with whatever choice I make.

Does anyone have any recommendations or words of wisdom for choosing my set of burner drives?

Thanks,

Jake
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #70
New Boot

IDE Cables?

Greetings,

I have a couple other questions.

Do DVD drives usually come with IDE cables?

And, how do you power your drives? Do you need to hook them up with separate power cables? If so, how does that work?

Please excuse my ignorance, and thanks for all the help.

Jake
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:59 AM   #71
Regular Crew

the duplicator controller normally ships with IDE cables (well all the wytron ones I've ever bought have had full set numbered 1 to 9 included)

the duplicator case power supply will usually have a full set of power plugs, though I've had a few that needed a couple of Y splitters to handle full set of 8 burners, 1 hard disk and the controller (with everything imaged to hard disk I never bother with dedicated readers, I prefer just doubling up one of the burners for reader duties to get 8 burners in a unit rather than 7 and a reader)

Pioneer and toshiba never caused me any problems ran off of wytron controllers

Buy a few extra drives at time of purchase for swapping out any failed ones you might end up with later on That way you wont have to worry about firmware revisions etc - theres nothing worse than trying to scrabble around finding one or two of whats become last years model of burner 12 months down the line to recomplete a matching set.
Steven Cowie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring