PAL NTSC on DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 9th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #1
Major Player

PAL NTSC on DVD

I have NTSC camera but i'm in Pal land, i know that i have to convert my footage. But i saw fallowing qoute on www.actionsportsvideos.com about playing NTSC format DVD's in Pal countries:

"If you are ordering DVD's don't worry about this info. All of our DVD's are region free and will play perfect in all countries"

So is it true? If NTSC format DVD does not have any region protection will it work on PAL system?
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:09 PM   #2
Wrangler

Region codes are a different issue than PAL vs NTSC. Region codes are generally only used on commercial DVD's and provide a way to prevent the DVD from playing in countries other than the one in which it was released.

I understand that most DVD players sold in PAL countries are able to play NTSC DVD's, but (from my experience) the opposite is not true in the US. I think most DVD players sold here will only work with NTSC DVD's.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #3
Major Player

You should make a couple of test discs and see how they perform. I live in the US now, but I lived in Australia for a little while and shot some PAL projects. The DVDs I made there will play in many NTSC players here, as they are region-code free, but they play at a horrible reduced resolution. I was shocked to find that they would play at all, but the resulting image was horrible. The point is, since you're going the other way on the conversion, I recommend that you run some tests and see what you discover in PAL land.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:47 PM   #4
Wrangler

If needed you can use some software like this to convert NTSC to PAL or vice versa: http://www.dvfilm.com/atlantis/

I'm getting ready to grapple with the NTSC vs PAL issue myself for a project I'm doing in Argentina this summer...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:33 PM   #5
Major Player

If you use FCP, Nattress also makes conversion software: http://nattress.com/standardsConversion.htm
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:38 PM   #6
Major Player

yes, i heard that some PAL players will play NTSC video and also TV's...
I guess i have to make lots of test before i release final product, dont wanna selle not workin stuff :P
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:47 PM   #7
Major Player

by the way, that Atlantis looks good for me.
But i wonderign about this sentence:

"NTSC to PAL works by first converting the NTSC to film motion (24P), same as with DVFilm Maker, then speeding that up slightly to 25P."

Why there are need to speed whole movie up?
Can you notice that? Probably not the picture, but sound?
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring