I have to pay for burning a DVD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 22nd, 2005, 01:49 PM   #1
The DV Show

I have to pay for burning a DVD?

Apple’s manual notes that if you are making DVDs for sale using iDVD or DVD Studio Pro, there is a licensing fee that you will have to pay- is this true?
Brian Alves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:14 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

I've never heard of anyone paying fees to Apple (after buying the product)
for selling discs made with their products. That would absolutely be insane,
why would you otherwise have bought the product in the first place?

Are you sure they are not talking about that you need to pay licensing fees
for things like CSS encryption or Macrovision protection if you use that?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #3
Wrangler

This gets interesting. The DVD Studio Pro license may be seen here:

http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/dvdstudiopro4.html

I think the issue is that the use of certain CODECs require licensing through their owners, and not through Apple:

Quote:
13. MPEG-2 Notice. To the extent that the Apple Software contains MPEG-2 functionality, the following provision applies: ANY USE OF THIS PRODUCT OTHER THAN CONSUMER PERSONAL USE IN ANY MANNER THAT COMPLIES WITH THE MPEG-2 STANDARD FOR ENCODING VIDEO INFORMATION FOR PACKAGED MEDIA IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED WITHOUT A LICENSE UNDER APPLICABLE PATENTS IN THE MPEG-2 PATENT PORTFOLIO, WHICH LICENSE IS AVAILABLE FROM MPEG LA, L.L.C, 250 STEELE STREET, SUITE 300, DENVER, COLORADO 80206.
There are similar paragraphs (14 and 15) which apply to MPEG-4 and H.264. I wonder how many people actually adhere to the letter of this law?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Yeah, that is interesting. When you replicate DVDs or CDs through a plant, a certain portion of the cost goes to licensing... somewhere between $.05 - $.15 per disc. I guess you are liable for that fee if you are duplicating the discs yourself... that would in no way be specific to iDVD.
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Anyone know if there is a fee associated with Blank DVD discs that makes up for this? Didn't they handle it this way for cassette tapes back in the day?
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #6
Major Player

The trouble is that the blanks don't cover it. It may be that if I sell a disc and with only text files on it I owe nothing, but if I sell a disc with MPEG-2, or MP3s, or regular Redbook audio (regular cd audio) I have to pay a license fee to the originators of that technology.

Very interesting... had never considered that. Good CYA move from apple to include that.
Old May 26th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #7
Trustee

fwiw: http://www.mpegla.com/m2/m2-agreement.cfm

also see:

"An MPEG-2 patent license is required from MPEG LA (MPEG Licensing Adminstrator). Cost is $2.50 for a DVD player or decoder card and 4 cents for each DVD disc, although there seems to be disagreement on whether content producers owe royalties for discs." -http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#6.1
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring