DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   Bizarre DVD playing problem, also autostart? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/45105-bizarre-dvd-playing-problem-also-autostart.html)

Wendy Rubin May 24th, 2005 02:08 AM

Bizarre DVD playing problem, also autostart?

What makes this so weird is that I have burned these same DVDs (TDK both 2x and 8x) on my 1.25 ghz mac with toast before and they worked fine. Now I have a new reel (developed and authored on a PC) and the ONLY dvd player they will play on is mine, which is the cheapie panasonic for $79.I test every single one and then once they are out in the world. they won't play. They will play on a computer (but won't autostart), but not on anyone's DVD player. Any suggestions????? I was going to buy some Taiyo Yudens. I am going crazy here.

Also, on the mac program there seems to be a checkbox for autostart. My PC guy said on his program, that doesn't exist. He says, "Auto start is reserved for CDRom content, which I've seen programmed on a DVD but it is a whole separate thing from standard DVD authoring and is burned as additional CDRom style content on a DVD." Which is correct?

Thanks!!

Wendy

Owen Bickford May 24th, 2005 10:36 AM

Hmmm...

As far as I know, your options for autostart, and anything else for that matter, depend on the burning software. In Premiere, the DVD will be autostart no matter what you want, and you have to invest in an entirely different program (Encore) to add professional menus. With Nero, you are stuck with cheesy buttons for the menus and not much flexibility.

Whether or not any of that is helpful, good luck. I don't know anyone with a good grasp on the ins and outs of DVD authoring. A good website devoted to DVD authoring would be handy, wouldn't it?

Christopher Lefchik May 24th, 2005 02:28 PM

Quote:

A good website devoted to DVD authoring would be handy, wouldn't it?
http://www.videohelp.com

Phil Holder June 2nd, 2005 11:37 PM

Hi Wendy
I am experiencing a similar problem. I have a 2 hour project that I'm trying to get onto a burnt dvd but I always find that at about the 1hour 30 min plus mark the dvd starts to stop and skip in places. It's always fine up to that point. We have tried a dozen different disk brands, including Taiyo. Plus and minus R disks but still have the same result. We have been burning at the lowest speeds. The dvd was transcoded and burnt with Encore. Have you found a solution to your problem.

Thanks Phil

Christopher Lefchik June 3rd, 2005 07:58 AM

Phil,

Quote:

I always find that at about the 1hour 30 min plus mark the dvd starts to stop and skip in places.
Stick on DVD labels are known to cause that problem. You wouldn't happen to be using them, would you?

Wendy,

I believe that your PC guy is right about the autostart option and CD-ROM/DVD-ROM content. Probably the reason you have the autostart option in Roxio Toast is that it is a general purpose CD/DVD burning utility that also burns CD/DVD-ROM content. I've never seen an autostart option in the DVD authoring software I've used (Pinnacle Impression DVD SE and now Adobe Encore DVD), yet my DVDs autostart in stand alone DVD players (though a friend did report a problem with DVDs I recently burned that I authored awhile back in DVD SE starting on his DVD player, yet no one else has had a problem with them starting). On computers, autostart for DVD video disks likely depends on the operating system and software installed.

Unfortunately, DVD authoring is far from being an exact science.

Dan Euritt June 3rd, 2005 08:17 PM

define "autostart".

the dvd "autostarts" when it's inserted in the player, and the menu comes up on the screen... no menu means that it's not playing.

or you can leave off the menu entirely, and the video itself should start playing when the disc is inserted into the player... most dvd authoring software will allow you to set that capability when the disc is authored.

you can also author the disc to play the menu for a set period of time, then start playing the video content, without any interaction from the viewer.

Nathan Petersen June 4th, 2005 12:45 AM

weird..

I dont mean to sound stupid but did you set your first play and title play to your menu you created if you used Adobe Encore. If you didn't that might be why some dvd players don't know where to start, however they should still play the dvd from the first chapter you have set. Also maybe you set your time for the menu to low, doubt it. Just my 2 cents, I'll look into it further.

Phil Holder June 4th, 2005 09:40 PM

Hi Christopher

At this point no lables have been attached.

Thanks

Christopher Lefchik June 5th, 2005 05:57 PM

Phil,

You're welcome. In that case I don't know what the problem would be. You could try posting your problem over at the videohelp.com DVD forums.