DVD Mass Production Problems - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 9th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #16
Inner Circle

There are two different ways to make copies: duplication and replication. You might have heard the term "glass master" along the line somewhere... it probably isn't what you think it is... [I was already wondering what in the world you did with the one you mentioned in your OP "I have a copy of the final glass master"].

Duplication is copying onto writable or re-writable blank discs you can buy anywhere, Walmart included. The only difference between a disc you burn on your computer and one from a company is that they use specialized burners and burn multiple discs at the same time - otherwise it's the exact same process.

Replication is making what you call "real" DVDs called "pressed" DVDs. That's where the glass master comes in the picture - the duplication house first makes a glass master, then using this glass master they press copies on special machines. This is how the DVDs you buy in stores are made.
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Darden View Post
This might be a dumb question but discmakers does supply "real" DVDs right? Like the ones that are silver on the back and not purple like the ones I would buy at walmart? I don't know what to call that...."glass mastered"?
They do both. If you read the specs carefully in the catalog or on your job you'll find out, but you should clarify this with discmakers (or any other replicator) on your project.

Usually, the break between duplication/burning and replication is somewhere around 200-400 units, this is financial, due to the cost of making the glass master. But a disc co will do replication on smaller jobs too, as long as you cover the cost of the glass master.
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #18
Trustee

Oliver, if you want the best compatibility go with replicated discs. As mentioned above by Ervin, who has been very helpful to me in the past, this is the same manufacturing process as the "hollywood" DVDs and will meet the "DVD" manufacturing specifications. I wrestled with the price difference and minimum quantities between duplicated and replicated and in the end decided to go with the more expensive replication. Another benefit is you can then use the DVD logo if licensed to do so by your manufacturer. Let us know how it goes and if I can be of further help.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #19
Major Player

the DVD standard requires interlaced footage and it should be upper field first

otherwise some older players will create flicker during pans and tilts

whoever did the mpeg encoding and authoring should have corrected that, so this is not your fault
Old October 10th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #20
Major Player

Seems like a replication house should have a more industrial strength encoding process than a Mac with Compressor, shouldn't they? If you are looking for an alternative a good reliable source is CD Technical (CD DVD Replication : Disk Duplication : CD Rom Replication : DVD Duplication Services Iowa : CDTechnical.com)
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
Replication is making what you call "real" DVDs called "pressed" DVDs. That's where the glass master comes in the picture - the duplication house first makes a glass master, then using this glass master they press copies on special machines. This is how the DVDs you buy in stores are made.
Ervin, thanks for all the info, got it. The DVDs we thinking about getting done from discmakers are definitely replicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
Let us know how it goes and if I can be of further help.
For sure Mark, I am dealing with the interlacing issues right now. I think I need to export out of Vegas to an NTSC DV instead of an uncompressed AVI. Everyone seems to have problems with the uncompressed AVI file. From there I am hoping they can work with the interlacing issues if need be. Maybe compressor using some deinterlacing plug in could fix this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Strauss View Post
the DVD standard requires interlaced footage and it should be upper field first

otherwise some older players will create flicker during pans and tilts

whoever did the mpeg encoding and authoring should have corrected that, so this is not your fault
Sometimes the DVD even SHAKES when the viewer pauses the DVD player.....this is such a nightmare.....=(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hill View Post
Seems like a replication house should have a more industrial strength encoding process than a Mac with Compressor, shouldn't they? If you are looking for an alternative a good reliable source is CD Technical (CD DVD Replication : Disk Duplication : CD Rom Replication : DVD Duplication Services Iowa : CDTechnical.com)
discmakers says they use real hardware compressors so well see.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring