Storing superfluous data files on a DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 23rd, 2005, 12:37 PM   #1
Fred Retread

Storing superfluous data files on a DVD

It would be nice to store a few data files in the audio or video folders on a DVD. Things like still captures from the video, or label files created in a labeling program.

I have no problem getting them written to the DVD. Doing it without screwing up the playability of the DVD is the problem. Does anyone know of a file extension that the DVD system will accept?
Old June 23rd, 2005, 09:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hmmm.

Good question. Maybe you could pioneer this one. While some authoring apps like Encore allow for this very thing under the umbrella of additional "DVD Rom" content, I haven't really dug in to what file extensions are/are not ok. I think its just another folder seperate from the Video_TS and Audio_TS, and could therefore probably hold anything. Maybe an experiment is in order...
Adam Kampia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:13 AM   #3
Fred Retread

Well I did some experimentation and found that I could disguise a file as a VTS_xx_0.IFO Where xx is a two digit number not used by the real DVD files. My DVD burning software (Nero Express) demanded that I create an identical file VTS_xx_0.BUP. With two copies of the file in those respective disguises I was able to burn and play the DVD.

Nothing else I tried would work.
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Try a Folder?

Fred,

An Extra Folder at the root level is ignored if it not named VIDEO_TS or AUDIO_TS. I usually name mine DVD-ROM or EXTRA although I'm told that any name should work.

I use DVDSP and not Nero Express, but there should be a way to specify a data folder in NE.
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:52 PM   #5
Major Player

I think DVD Architect 3 can create a folder called extras where you can store any type of file. I haven't used it yet though. Has anyone?
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 02:01 AM   #6
Major Player

Michael is right, you can add any folders to your DVD.
For Fred, it would be "Stills" or "Labels". Just create a folder in the root of your DVD in Nero and add the files you want. No need to rename them.
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring