DVD Editing And Authoring Software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old June 25th, 2005, 09:15 AM   #1
New Boot

DVD Editing And Authoring Software

What is the best software to use for a home user to capture and author dvd. I have Adobe premier, but it is to complicated for me. Windows movie maker is to basic and does not let you play back on a tv. Any suggestions?
CJ Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 10:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If you already have Premiere I would recommend "Adobe Encore DVD" for authoring.

Depends on how much you want to get into editing...just a one shot deal? Will you edit more over time? All editing software has a learning curve, I would say you're not going to find anything more simple than Movie Maker and I can't think of any "easy" in betweeners.

Maybe since you already have Premiere just spend lots of time with it instead of buying or acquiring another piece.
Old June 26th, 2005, 12:18 AM   #3
Major Player

I Agree

It might be hard to start out first, but soon things will start clicking over time. I self taught my self many different video programs, you just have to stick with it. The best DVD authorization tool for the PC would be Adobe Encore. Its really simple, works great most of the time, and allows you room to grow. Have Fun..
Wes Coughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 01:54 PM   #4
Major Player

I don't want to take anything away from the previous comments...because what they say is true, it may be easier to just learn than to shop around but personally I have always been a big fan of Sony Vegas. I too found Premiere to be unintuitive. Vegas acts alot more like photoshop in my opinion so if you've used that, you just have to learn how to edit your clips in the trimmer. I don't know if Sony DVD Architect is any easier than the adobe product, but I will admit it is a tiny bit complicated. Though I have managed to make a few successful DVD burns with it, and they came out great.

The only problem with Vegas is you are not going to find nearly as many tutorials...you have to be good at teaching yourself.
Matt Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 07:35 PM   #5
Major Player

I have been using Adobe Encore for over a year, and have found it a difficult program. It's an adversary to be conquered, not a friend to be worked with. If you get to the point of making complex DVDs with multiple menus and timelines and multiple ways of accessing them, Encore forces you to prepare things in advance in layers using the full (ie. expensive) version of Photoshop. Other DVD authoring software manufacturers seem to have more versatile products. I think this is a case of Adobe just getting to be too big too fast, and trying to integrate everything into "suites" instead of improving individual products. They have over 200 products to sell, and the sales staff can't even keep them straight.
Do people routinely mix and match maufacturers for editing and DVD authoring, or is it just asking for trouble not staying with the same company throughout?
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 08:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

To answer the original question...

If Premiere is too complicated for you at this juncture, then forget Encore (which I happen to think has more power and versatilty when combined with Photoshop than any authoring app--except Scenarist, of course).

Get yourself an $80 copy of Pinnacle studio off the shelf. That'll keep you happy for a few months, at least until you start wanting more.
Adam Kampia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I would recommend Sony DVD Architect, which worked for me within the first hour. It is very simple, stable and not expensive (I work with it for two years now professionally).
Next solution (cheaper) will be Pinnacle which is even simpler.

I found that Adobe software tend to have their own “way of doing things” and need special attention.
Good luck!
Anthony Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 12:09 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I have used the Pinnacle 9 editing program and it is very easy to use and lets you set up DVD's and burn them from the work area without keep moving between differant programs or files.Much simpler to use than Premier and very user friendly.Joe
Joe Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 12:32 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Interlaced to DVD ?

I'm getting confused with all the recent talk about progressive and interlaced Video.I'm assuming that the average mini DV camera records progressive video while the new Sony Z1 records interlaced ? If I want to produce a regular DVD in Pal using footage shot on a interlaced ZI,and edited on Premier Pro, what effect will this have on the final DVD.That's if its even possible.Someone said the footage will revert to standard min DV when downloaded to the editing suite.
Joe Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 10:14 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Champagne
I don't want to take anything away from the previous comments...because what they say is true, it may be easier to just learn than to shop around but personally I have always been a big fan of Sony Vegas. I too found Premiere to be unintuitive. Vegas acts alot more like photoshop in my opinion so if you've used that, you just have to learn how to edit your clips in the trimmer. I don't know if Sony DVD Architect is any easier than the adobe product, but I will admit it is a tiny bit complicated. Though I have managed to make a few successful DVD burns with it, and they came out great.

The only problem with Vegas is you are not going to find nearly as many tutorials...you have to be good at teaching yourself.
I totally agree, the Sony line is good yet hard to find great tutorials on. I would however recomend Mr. Sopted Eagels book Vgeas 5, even if you are running V-6 the basics still hold true also it includes a chapter on DVD-A. As for DVD A, yes it's quick and easy to get up and running. That being said Encore is very powerful, as it has almost total intergration with photoshop, and after effects. DVD A3 is much better than the first two from Sony actually the first was from Sonic Foundry....I digress. DVD-A3 is also very powerful and now works with image editors, the learning curve for advanced features is steep thus the term advanced. Yet is was worth the price!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring