Gloss DVD's Epson r200/300? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old June 27th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Gloss DVD's Epson r200/300?

Hi

I am thinking of getting an epson R200 or R300 so I can print directly and avoid the labels.
So far I am using glossy labels (wedding videography) but I am hoping for a better result.
How does the printing form the epson's look comapred to a glossy label from inkjet? And is there a way to make the printable DVD's look glossy?

Thank you in advance

Anthony
Anthony Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 05:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You can get glossy white media, but I'm pretty sure Epson's inks won't dry properly on them.

The only good glossy printed discs I've ever seen were done with full color thermal transfer printing.
Adam Kampia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yup. We just bought a Teac P-55 and are loving it. Best quality prints I've ever seen, even rivaling Everest II. Consistent quality, and comes out of the printer UV protected and waterproof in about two minutes. The thing is heavy as a tank and built rock solid.

...of course it was about $6,000. 8-)
Brent Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 05:06 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mooney
Hi

I am thinking of getting an epson R200 or R300 so I can print directly and avoid the labels.
So far I am using glossy labels (wedding videography) but I am hoping for a better result.
How does the printing form the epson's look comapred to a glossy label from inkjet? And is there a way to make the printable DVD's look glossy?

Thank you in advance

Anthony

"How does the printing form the epson's look comapred to a glossy label from inkjet?"
--> Any inkjet printed DVD's will look duller than a photo quality glossy label.

"And is there a way to make the printable DVD's look glossy?"
--> There is but it is triky. Applying a fine coat of varnish (like those that come in spray canisters) will do wonders to a printed DVD, but, you have to aplly it in a dust free enviornment, and that's the triky part.

As a side note: Run away from labels like the plage. They WILL give you trouble.

Best regards,
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 12:29 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, now I even more confused:)

I am kiding, just have to decide if I ll go with print on /or label..

Thanks
Anthony Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 12:30 PM   #6
Trustee

My Epson R320 has a CD/DVD Premium Surface print setting. According to the box that pops up when I select it, it requires a CD/DVD with a higher quality print surface, which gives richer quality colors, but takes up to 24 hours to dry, depending on surface quality. I've never tried it (I'm not sure what they mean by a higher quality surface; glossy, perhaps?).
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 12:23 AM   #7
Regular Crew

epson print dvd

The Epson R200/300 prints a really nice quality label direct onto white ink jet printable dvd's. They are not glossy - but the flat white looks very nice.
Don't use the "glossy" selection when printing (make sure it's not checked in advanced print window). If glossy is checked it activates the epson glossy cartridge. it takes to long to dry, is not necessary, and once the glossy cartridge is empty you have to replace all the cartridges or you can't print - and the glossy cartridge is mega expensive.
Chris Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:43 AM   #8
Major Player

Anthony,
The Epson 200/300 normal CD/DVD setting is incredibly sharp (2,880dpi) and gives great results. I find that the ProDisc brand of DVD blanks (got mine at Meritline) has a "pearl luster" surface that looks a little nicer to me than the flat white of other media. There is really no need to use the premium setting...it uses a LOT more ink and takes forever to dry.
Hope this helps.
Ken
the Screen Skins guy
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:12 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I have an r200 hooked up on my PC here at work. It does give very good results but you have to compensate for the color a lot. Mine prints with all greens super saturated. The same file printed on my Epson 2200 looks perfect with no compensation. So be sure to do a test disc before printing an important disk.

Colin
Home of virtualPhotographer. A photoshop plug-in for one click photographic effects.
Colin Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring