DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   How much can I cram onto a DVD? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/47709-how-much-can-i-cram-onto-dvd.html)

Tim Brechlin July 14th, 2005 02:47 PM

How much can I cram onto a DVD?

I have a four-hour seminar that a client is looking to have put on DVD. Unfortunately, the only way I can see to put this together is to put it onto 4 DVDs -- and my client is insisting on one.

I know there's no way to cram four hours onto one disc, but is it possible for 2 or 3 discs? What transcoding settings would I need for this?

Christopher Lefchik July 14th, 2005 09:03 PM

You might be able to cram four hours at an acceptable (obviously not great) quality on a dual-layer DVD using a good two pass variable bit-rate encoder. (If you don't want to use dual-layer DVDs you could try spreading it over two single-layer DVDs). I don't know how it would look, as I've never tried fitting that much on a DVD. But if the client insists on one DVD, you could try dual-layer. They may be just as happy with the quality, whatever it turns out to be.

One good encoder many people recommend is TMPGEnc.

I don't know what settings to recommend when using VBR encoding, as I always encode at 7 Mbs CBR or above.

Richard Alvarez July 15th, 2005 07:46 AM

I agree with Christopher, in that it MIGHT be possible to cram four hours on to a DVD, but figure on it looking about like VHS quality. The good thing is, if the seminar consists pretty much of a talking head against a plain background, you could probably get away with it. You'll need a good encoder. TMPGEnc is good, I use Sorenson Squeeze.

Christopher Lefchik July 15th, 2005 08:23 AM

Tim,

I don't know what DVD authoring software you are using, but Adobe Encore DVD will automatically adjust the encoding settings to fill the DVD. If you do use Encore DVD you wouldn't have to worry about the settings; Encore would do everything for you.

Another thing: You will definitely want to encode your audio using Dolby Digital (AC3) on this project, as it will give you more room for video.

Jeremy Davidson July 15th, 2005 09:30 AM

To echo some of the other comments in this thread, a "talking head" shot should compress fairly well. I produced a wedding video about a year ago with close to two hours of footage using a bitrate around 4500kbps VBR, and I could not see any difference between that encode and a test encode at 8000kbps. I'm almost positive I also used AC3 for the audio (my files are always stereo at either 128kbps or 192kbps). You may be able to save a little more space by encoding mono audio. If it's all lecturing there's really no point in keeping it stereo, plus speech is much more tolerant of low datarates than music, so I'd try the lowest bitrate supported. 64kbps mono (TMPGEnc AC3 encoder minimum) would be the same quality as 128kbps stereo.

I use TMPGEnc DVD Source Creator for video and the TMPGEnc AC3 plugin for audio. DVD-Lab is my authoring software.

Point is I'd be fairly confident you could fit it onto two single-layer discs (which means one dual-layer may also work).

Tim Brechlin July 15th, 2005 12:25 PM

I use Adobe Encore 1.5.

Since I don't have a dual-layer burner, it sounds like I can get away with two discs.

Thanks, all!

John Harmon July 31st, 2005 09:27 PM

You could use a standalone DVD recorder - my Magnavox can record 1, 2, 2 1/2, 3, 4, or even 8 hours onto a standard disc, but I don't think I'd want to deliver anything to a client that was recorded in 3 or 4-hour mode, and I imagine the quality of the 8-hour mode is abysmal.

Devin Eskew August 1st, 2005 12:50 AM

I would highly caution the "fit to disc" option. It is very useable, however I doubt you will be pleased with the results for this length of project. The DVD stand-alone recorder may be the way to go. If your client insists, point out that even The Lord Of The Rings had to be spread out over two discs to get four hours. I think you should be fine with two hours or so per disc. A lower bit rate and two pass should help, as there is little action it should fit nicely. Sorenson Squeeze would be my choice if I were using Premier or Avid. Yet I've had no issues using main concept out of Vegas which is my prefered app. Also you can show your client the dual DVD cases at shop4tech.com. which are the same as a normal case yet hold two discs. Have fun!

Christopher Lefchik August 1st, 2005 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devin Eskew
Sorenson Squeeze would be my choice if I were using Premier or Avid. Yet I've had no issues using main concept out of Vegas

Premiere Pro and Encore DVD also use the MainConcept MPEG-2 encoder.

Jacob Ehrichs August 1st, 2005 08:04 AM

I'm having a similar problem with Encore, but my videos are only 2 hours and one that's 9 minutes. I set them all to automatic but it tells me that the 9 minute video falls below the 2mbps limit. Of course, if i set it to a higher bitrate then my project is too large.

Devin Eskew August 1st, 2005 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Lefchik
Premiere Pro and Encore DVD also use the MainConcept MPEG-2 encoder.

That is correct, however I like Sorenson Squeeze, and it has not always worked well out of Vegas, and since I like to use it I've noticed little to no issues out of Premier.