How much can I cram onto a DVD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 14th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How much can I cram onto a DVD?

I have a four-hour seminar that a client is looking to have put on DVD. Unfortunately, the only way I can see to put this together is to put it onto 4 DVDs -- and my client is insisting on one.

I know there's no way to cram four hours onto one disc, but is it possible for 2 or 3 discs? What transcoding settings would I need for this?
Tim Brechlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:03 PM   #2
Trustee

You might be able to cram four hours at an acceptable (obviously not great) quality on a dual-layer DVD using a good two pass variable bit-rate encoder. (If you don't want to use dual-layer DVDs you could try spreading it over two single-layer DVDs). I don't know how it would look, as I've never tried fitting that much on a DVD. But if the client insists on one DVD, you could try dual-layer. They may be just as happy with the quality, whatever it turns out to be.

One good encoder many people recommend is TMPGEnc.

I don't know what settings to recommend when using VBR encoding, as I always encode at 7 Mbs CBR or above.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I agree with Christopher, in that it MIGHT be possible to cram four hours on to a DVD, but figure on it looking about like VHS quality. The good thing is, if the seminar consists pretty much of a talking head against a plain background, you could probably get away with it. You'll need a good encoder. TMPGEnc is good, I use Sorenson Squeeze.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #4
Trustee

Tim,

I don't know what DVD authoring software you are using, but Adobe Encore DVD will automatically adjust the encoding settings to fill the DVD. If you do use Encore DVD you wouldn't have to worry about the settings; Encore would do everything for you.

Another thing: You will definitely want to encode your audio using Dolby Digital (AC3) on this project, as it will give you more room for video.
Old July 15th, 2005, 09:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

To echo some of the other comments in this thread, a "talking head" shot should compress fairly well. I produced a wedding video about a year ago with close to two hours of footage using a bitrate around 4500kbps VBR, and I could not see any difference between that encode and a test encode at 8000kbps. I'm almost positive I also used AC3 for the audio (my files are always stereo at either 128kbps or 192kbps). You may be able to save a little more space by encoding mono audio. If it's all lecturing there's really no point in keeping it stereo, plus speech is much more tolerant of low datarates than music, so I'd try the lowest bitrate supported. 64kbps mono (TMPGEnc AC3 encoder minimum) would be the same quality as 128kbps stereo.

I use TMPGEnc DVD Source Creator for video and the TMPGEnc AC3 plugin for audio. DVD-Lab is my authoring software.

Point is I'd be fairly confident you could fit it onto two single-layer discs (which means one dual-layer may also work).
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 12:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I use Adobe Encore 1.5.

Since I don't have a dual-layer burner, it sounds like I can get away with two discs.

Thanks, all!
Tim Brechlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 09:27 PM   #7
Regular Crew

You could use a standalone DVD recorder - my Magnavox can record 1, 2, 2 1/2, 3, 4, or even 8 hours onto a standard disc, but I don't think I'd want to deliver anything to a client that was recorded in 3 or 4-hour mode, and I imagine the quality of the 8-hour mode is abysmal.
John Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I would highly caution the "fit to disc" option. It is very useable, however I doubt you will be pleased with the results for this length of project. The DVD stand-alone recorder may be the way to go. If your client insists, point out that even The Lord Of The Rings had to be spread out over two discs to get four hours. I think you should be fine with two hours or so per disc. A lower bit rate and two pass should help, as there is little action it should fit nicely. Sorenson Squeeze would be my choice if I were using Premier or Avid. Yet I've had no issues using main concept out of Vegas which is my prefered app. Also you can show your client the dual DVD cases at shop4tech.com. which are the same as a normal case yet hold two discs. Have fun!
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:39 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Eskew
Sorenson Squeeze would be my choice if I were using Premier or Avid. Yet I've had no issues using main concept out of Vegas
Premiere Pro and Encore DVD also use the MainConcept MPEG-2 encoder.
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:04 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I'm having a similar problem with Encore, but my videos are only 2 hours and one that's 9 minutes. I set them all to automatic but it tells me that the 9 minute video falls below the 2mbps limit. Of course, if i set it to a higher bitrate then my project is too large.
Jacob Ehrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:31 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lefchik
Premiere Pro and Encore DVD also use the MainConcept MPEG-2 encoder.
That is correct, however I like Sorenson Squeeze, and it has not always worked well out of Vegas, and since I like to use it I've noticed little to no issues out of Premier.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring