Dolby royalties on replicated DVDs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 26th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Dolby royalties on replicated DVDs

I searched on the whole forum, but could only find very old info on this subject.

If you have done a larger replication run (+1000) lately, please weight in on these questions:

Are MPEG and Dolby (just stereo) royalties still required for replicated DVDs?

If so, who is responsible to pay them and how much are they?
Old April 26th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

That's how Dolby make their money .. charging royalties. The replicators include them in your cost.

Ring around and ask plants in your area what their rates are for various size runs and ask about all the royalties payable.

Royalties are also payable on copyright music used so don't start a production till you have permission in writing to use the music and what the royalty charges are. hth
Cheers.
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Music's no prob, as we were careful there, but if we don't include Dolby's logo on the DVD, what is the law concerning output from Encore (which includes Dolby encoding by default)?

Plus, it used to be that the MPEG consortium required some kind of royalties, but I've seen nothing on that in the last 7 yrs.

I'm sure our replicator probably rolls that into his price (they do a lot of work), but the Dolby output via Encore for replicated DVDs has us wondering. If you have some hard data on that, I'd sure appreciate the URL.
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Not sure why this was posted to the CineForm forum -- moved here where it belongs.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris.

Stephen .. Ray Dolby has been around for Yonks you can't put anything past him he'd hear about it :(

I'd definately call your plant otherwise something will slip by you ie: more cost, tech or printing specs, delivery dates etc.

Cheers.
Old April 26th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Major Player

Ha, I confess Chris, I knew you'd move it. I was wondering if you were sleeping....I mean, you took a whole hour and a half to do it! Thought maybe I'd slip it by...sorry for the extra work, I knew better.

Allan, I pretty much figured I'd have to run it through the replicator outfit. Prob is they are in the USA, busy like crazy, and I'm in Brazil right now. Emails are sometimes not so hot for getting info, but I guess there's no other way.

Yeah, Dolby is like Hurd...can't pull any fast ones on 'em. They've got a sixth sense to sniff out this stuff. It must smell like money.

Might have to call this one in.
Old April 26th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Stephen .. yep I saw your location. The plant might have Skype? .. with such a big job and if it's a first might be worth going up there for a few days check the samples and accompany it back? Brazilian import regs?

Hope it's not an urgent job.
Cheers.
Old April 30th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #8
Trustee

both producers/distributors and replicators are liable to pay licensing fees. When you get a quote, the company doing your replication should tell you separately how much licensing costs. These charges are usually standard and are payable in (usually) USD. The responsibility is shared.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring