Reliable DVD copy protection using a...marker? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 21st, 2005, 07:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Reliable DVD copy protection using a...marker?

Someone told me over the weekend that if I make a DVD and don't want it copies, that I can take a permanent felt marker and draw a line over the data area. The data should still read as normal by a DVD drive/set top player, but will encoutner an error when an attemp to copy it is made.

Has anyone heard or tried this? Does it work? Will it truely not screw up the data reading?

thanx
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:36 PM   #2
Major Player

I would think it would make the disc unreadable on anything.
But I don't think it really matters as you can remove most 'permanent' markers off the data area by rubbing it a few times hard with your finger.

BTW if it reads fine in a DVD drive it'll copy fine in a DVD drive.
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Oh, I forgot - I have read about people *defeating* certain copy protected audio CDs by using a permanent marker.
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 04:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I would guess that if you include extra data on the outer tracks and scratch just those with a tangential line, you would thwart many copy programs that would try to copy the entire disk.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 04:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

there was a line of cds released a while ago where a corrupted file was inserted at the beginning (inside) of the cd track. someone drew over it with a marker and it was defeated, so they don't use that method anymo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring