DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   DVD burning is giving me a problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/48327-dvd-burning-giving-me-problem.html)

Glenn Gipson July 26th, 2005 08:07 AM

DVD burning is giving me a problem

My newly created DVDs are skipping and or not working all together. What in the world could be the problem? My bit rate is set at 5.5. I am working from off of one drive though, could that be the problem? Or is my DVD burner out of order? Thanks.

Brent Warwick July 26th, 2005 10:50 AM

Could be a number of things, ranked from most possible:

1. Burn speed (VERY likely)
2. Brand of media (quite possible)
3. Burning software (less likely)
4. Burner itself going bad (not common, but possible)

Several things you can try: Did this just start happening? If so, what is different now than when things were working fine? Try burning at a lower speed, using a different brand of media, and updating your drive's firmware.

Glenn Gipson July 26th, 2005 10:54 AM

>>Did this just start happening?<<

Yes.

>>If so, what is different now than when things were working fine?<<

Outside of the DVDs not working properly, nothing is all that different on my system.

I am using a single hard drive for all the DVD prep folders, could that be the problem?

And I will try your suggestions, thanks!

Glenn Gipson July 26th, 2005 11:16 AM

Hmm...the lower burn speed didn't help any. I changed DVD-R brands. And I even went out and bought a new DVD burner and it still doesn't solve the problem. What in the world could be going on? Is it that all of my files (the DVD Prep folder and DVD Temp folder) are on the same hard drive? I am using Sony DVD Architect. Is it due to too little ram? I never had this problem before...at least not so early in the DVD.

Maybe the music files for my submenus are too big...

Richard Zlamany July 26th, 2005 12:14 PM

Audio

Are you using PCM audio?

Glenn Gipson July 26th, 2005 12:15 PM

>>Are you using PCM audio?<<
No. Should I be?

Devin Eskew July 26th, 2005 12:30 PM

Have you placed any type of label on the DVD?

PCM should be converted to AC-3. It might help if you could go into your project settings and paste that info here.

Glenn Gipson July 26th, 2005 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devin Eskew

PCM should be converted to AC-3. It might help if you could go into your project settings and paste that info here.

It was on AC-3. Also, the DVD plays fine in my Playstation 2, but it stutters from time to time on my Memorex DVD player. Is this a bit rate issue?

Glenn Gipson July 26th, 2005 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devin Eskew

I'm only using a thick Black Sharpie (marker.)

Glenn Gipson July 26th, 2005 12:47 PM

Could it be my bit-rate? Is 5.5 somehow not good?

Devin Eskew July 26th, 2005 01:05 PM

I only tend to have bit issues when going over 9,000. 8,000 tends to be just fine. Any idea if you'll be able to send your project specs? It might shed some ligt on the issue.

Glenn Gipson July 26th, 2005 01:09 PM

>>Any idea if you'll be able to send your project specs?<<

What specs? It was shot on a DVX100 in 24pa mode...other then that, I don't know what other information to give.

Devin Eskew July 26th, 2005 02:31 PM

5.5 bit rate may be low, how long is your project?

What I mean by spec:

You should be able to open a window called "project properties" That is the info that I am looking for. It will have several tabs. Video will have for example 4:3 or 16:9 Widescreen ect. It will give you the information on how you set up your project. Most people tend to go through this on the first project they do and leave the "Start new projects with these settings" box checked. Is this sounding familar?

Glenn Gipson July 26th, 2005 02:44 PM

>>5.5 bit rate may be low, how long is your project?<<

78 Minutes

The only properties that I see are:

NTSC 720x480

The Project is Wide Screen

This is all the info that I see.

Devin Eskew July 26th, 2005 03:02 PM

There should also be an audio tab in prefs. 78min should not be a problem.

So this DVD works on your playstation and not on the other drives?

Also I've never burned with my media files and projects on the same drive, so that may be at issue. Also I always use +R and not -R. Is this the first time you have switched to -R? Sorry so many questions, just trying to nail this down.
What is your DVD burner spec? Are you burning 8X on a 4X via a firmware upgrade? I've seen issues with that. What burning speed are you using?