VHS footage to go on 30p DVD... best way? Possible? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 8th, 2005, 01:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD USA
Posts: 55
VHS footage to go on 30p DVD... best way? Possible?

I am making (if I can figure all this out) a 30p DVD. However, I have been provided with a bunch of archived VHS footage that they would like to include on the DVD. The VHS footage is natively interlaced-- do I have to de-interlace it to make it progressive or can I capture it progressive? or...?

Not sure if this should go in this thread or in the DVD thread. Apologies.

Any input/advice/suggestions are appreciated/
THANKS!
__________________
www.j-geissler.com
Baltimore, MD 21085
Jeff Geissler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 53
You would want to capture the video using as good a capture device as possible, then use your editor to deinterlace. This will require some rendering time.

-Troy
Troy Tiscareno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD USA
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Tiscareno
You would want to capture the video using as good a capture device as possible, then use your editor to deinterlace. This will require some rendering time.

-Troy
great. thanks.

I'm trying to get my hands on a vcr with s-video so I can transfer s-video to mindidv...I think thats my best bet with the tools I have.

If anyone knows if going directly from the camera to the PC would result in better quality... what capture codec would I use?
I'd have s-video or rca into prem pro.

My only other alternative is to go svideo to minidv...

~jeff
__________________
www.j-geissler.com
Baltimore, MD 21085
Jeff Geissler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 07:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Posts: 93
I transfered a bunch of old (10 years old) 8mm video tapes to minidv and it worked out really well. I was using the composite video out on the camera of course (going through an s-video adaptor into minidv) but the footage turned out fine.

There may have been a better way to do it, but to be able to do it with stuff I had laying around was definitely a benefit. Most of the old footage held up well in the transfer to DVD, considering the source format.
Patrick Swinnea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD USA
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Swinnea
I transfered a bunch of old (10 years old) 8mm video tapes to minidv and it worked out really well. I was using the composite video out on the camera of course (going through an s-video adaptor into minidv) but the footage turned out fine.

There may have been a better way to do it, but to be able to do it with stuff I had laying around was definitely a benefit. Most of the old footage held up well in the transfer to DVD, considering the source format.
Pat-
Thats really good to hear! Question- is there a an ideal capture setting? I'm assuming you used just regular firewire DV capture settings?

~jeff
__________________
www.j-geissler.com
Baltimore, MD 21085
Jeff Geissler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 01:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Posts: 93
Yep, once it was on minidv I just captured it like normal - NTSC DV. It was really great to go in and use the power of a modern NLE (in my case Vegas) on old home movies. Plus, now all that stuff is archived in a digital format.
Patrick Swinnea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Albany NY
Posts: 311
While S-video is the better of the analog format choices, going direct to digital is the best bet. One option is find one of the JVC S-VHS/Mini DV decks - play the vhs and capture on the mini DV side. Another option - get a VHS/DVD combo deck and transfer to DVD.

Good luck
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 03:08 PM   #8
Built the VanceCam
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Geissler
I am making (if I can figure all this out) a 30p DVD. However, I have been provided with a bunch of archived VHS footage that they would like to include on the DVD. The VHS footage is natively interlaced-- do I have to de-interlace it to make it progressive or can I capture it progressive? or...?
THANKS!
May I ask why 30P? Are you just going for that specific look, and want the VHS footage to match?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh
While S-video is the better of the analog format choices, going direct to digital is the best bet. One option is to find one of the JVC S-VHS/Mini DV decks - play the vhs and capture on the mini DV side. Another option - get a VHS/DVD combo deck and transfer to DVD.
There is no "direct to digital" from VHS other than via an S-video connection, so there is no signal benefit to using a VHS/Mini-DV deck or VHS/DVD deck, which internally use the equivalent of the S-video signal. They are just more convenient.
Dan Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #9
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD USA
Posts: 55
why 30p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Vance
May I ask why 30P? Are you just going for that specific look, and want the VHS footage to match?
I wanted to experiment with a progressive DVD- shot in 30p with my Canon XL2...

I opted to shoot 60i to play it safe until I figure out all the ups and downs of different frame rates and meshing them together...(24p/30p/60i)

Any pointers on that (I know its been addressed billions of times on this forum, but sometimes it takes the right 'explanation' for me to get it)-- would be helpful.

I understand the progressive vs interlaced thing-- but why would one shoot 30p over 60i? Perhaps for computer only output? Or for the look of progressive footage on a dvd... But doesnt a DVD 'deinterlace' once put on TV (assuming your tv isn't up to date)?
__________________
www.j-geissler.com
Baltimore, MD 21085
Jeff Geissler is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:25 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network