Damaged VOB files on DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old March 10th, 2011, 06:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Damaged VOB files on DVD

I hope this is the correct area, I have searched the forum with no results, here's my problem.

I have a DVD that I made in 2005 which has recently developed problems. In some machines it will play but with a few stops and jumps but will eventually freeze completely, in others it will just freeze soon after starting. I've tried it in a variety of players and laptops, even the burner it was made on.
If I try to rip from the disc it is unable to read from the VOB files.

I have two discs and both have played fine until recently now both do the same but in different places.

Can anyone suggest a way of ripping the disc or repairing what can be salvaged of the VOBs? Unfortunately the master ISO was on a hard drive that failed a couple of years ago.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Damaged VOB files on DVD

If a DVD that was playing fine earlier stops playing, it's not because any files are corrupt.The DVD has been damaged/scratched physically. There are a few tricks to try to get it to work, but they all risk permanent data loss. I suggest you try a data recovery expert in your area.
Old March 11th, 2011, 02:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Damaged VOB files on DVD

Hi Sareesh. I thought that myself but there is no sign of physical damage, and one has been stored in a case and not played since it was originally burned. I'm wondering if the dye may be fading? I've managed to rip two of the VOBs, one is fine I pulled it into Premiere and it sits on the timeline okay the other one gets to 40% of importing and halts. I can't grab the other two VOBs.

I have come across some software called isobuster which seems to suggest that it can 'fix' damaged MPEGS. Has anyone got any experience of using this. I don't like downloading unknown software.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring