Encore alternative -- what you guys use? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old April 5th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Encore alternative -- what you guys use?

Ok. so I've been just experimenting with Adobe Encore a bit, and the thing seriosuly lacks features. I mean they call it a DVD-authoring program, but I cant do 2 of the most important things on it and I've only just begun using the program. 1st here are my problems:

I want to have music playing in the background while flipping through DVD menus without having the song start and stop each time I open and close another menu (understandable right?)

I also want my buttons to play some video. You might say go use their video thumbnail feature. Well, their button video thumbnails only play the video of the sequence marker that you link it too. But for example, what if I want another video as the thumbnail and not part of my main seuquence? Why do I want this? Well a customer might want to select the ceremony chapter of her wedding movie. So hits the ceremony button and a scene fades in from a black screen and a title comes on along with an introductory scene say of the church exterior. Then the brides maids come on. So, you would want each of your chapters to have a bit of an introductory scene before the bride walks down the isle. However, the video thumbnail button only shows first few seconds of the encore chapter marker in the sequence. So in this case, once the customer opens the chapter menu, the video for the button shows a black screen, fading in with some titles etc for a few seconds. How come I cant have my own custom thumbnail video i.e. bride walking down the isle, instead of the defaiult? I would assume that seeing the bride walking down the isle would be better to establish the contect of the ceremony rather than all the junk at the introductory to the ceremony? Do you see my point?

Anyways, what program do you guys use for DVD authoring. Encore CS5 lacks stuff. It seems adobe just added a few codecs from CS4 to CS5 and NO features were updated. You would like to see some nice features in that program besides just button linking and thats about it (couldnt come up with any other features).
Victor Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Encore alternative -- what you guys use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Boyko View Post
I want to have music playing in the background while flipping through DVD menus without having the song start and stop each time I open and close another menu (understandable right?)
Understandable, yes. Possible, no. The start/stop is due to the mechanics of the DVD player itself. They don't have any buffering capability at all, and the menu files are separate files on the DVD. So while the DVD player searches for and starts playing a new file... silence. No authoring solution can overcome this.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Encore alternative -- what you guys use?

The scene that plays during a video thumbnail is not locked to the chapter marker set for the menu button. You can set a separate start point for the video thumbnail. See Adobe Encore CS5 * Set or change poster frames
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring