DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   My first DVD+R DL (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/496220-my-first-dvd-r-dl.html)

Peter Manojlovic May 21st, 2011 12:48 PM

My first DVD+R DL

Hey everybody....

I'm using Encore CS4 to author my DVD with an .ISO image approximately 8.gigs..
Is anybody using ImgBurn, and is anybody changing the book type, or do you let the software run its' course?

Denis Danatzko May 21st, 2011 02:12 PM

Re: My first DVD+R DL

I recently burned 1 project to DL+R @ 5.7GB and am working on another that will be a 2-disk set, 1 on DL at around 7 GB, and 1 on SL at around 4 GB...using CS2 to .iso.
Both are small run jobs, i.e. 1 at 150 copies, the unfinished one to be 50 copies.

Burned first directly from Encore CS2; contained intro and 1 menu w/8 chapters, and navigation worked fine. Will also use CS2 for the soon-to-be-completed one, with multi-menus and more than 100 chapters. Copies being burned on a copier from Discmakers.

There's no mention of either "booktype" or "book" in CS2, not even in Help, so can't help there...sorry.

Peter Manojlovic May 21st, 2011 02:14 PM

I was successful, in that my old player (very fussy), allowed for playback...

But i'm a bit confused, since Encore decides where the layer break should be, why does ImgBurn asks for another one??

Denis Danatzko May 21st, 2011 02:33 PM

Interesting...Encore CS2 offers the option for either automatic or manual layer break.(In CS2, that's available from the "Build DVD" choice).

As for ImgBurn asking/offering layer break again, I'm not positive but my hunch is that it might use a different scheme than Encore when converting the source to DVD-format.

Denis Danatzko May 21st, 2011 02:58 PM

Pete,
A word of caution when burning to DL:

I learned a bit about blank media from doing the job that required 150 copies. As best I can describe it, it seems each blank DVD (whether SL or DL) includes one or more codes that is/can be read by a burner. If the burner doesn't "recognize" those codes, it may either go on its' merry way and continue burning...or seem like it's burning...or it may stop at any point along the way and issue some message indicating that the media is bad, or failed to copy. Even if it finishes and no error message appears, it's wise to still be suspect of the results. Make sure to check that your finished project is playable in as many different players as you have available. (My new-at-the-time copier was issuing messages that discs had been burned correctly and had passed verification, but some were still unplayable in my test player; I ended up having to test each and every one of 150 discs in my test player...lots of time spent that I had hoped would be unnecessary...and I'm still not positive they will play in EVERY player they might be intended for).

My experience was buying 150 DL blanks, then burning each. Of the first 100 blanks, I got 33 coasters...an absolutely unacceptable error rate. Luckily, I had just bought the copier and the blanks from the same company, so I contacted them explaining the problem.

They had me check a few settings in my copier, and sent me 100 blanks of a different brand of DL media.
The settings didn't help make the original media any more productive, but when the replacement blanks arrived, my error rate dropped to about 2 per hundred. (Unfortunately, while the first 100 replacement media was free, they are more expensive than hoped for. Now I know how much more I'll have to pay in the future for similar jobs.

Bottom line: DL is/can be finicky. Don't assume that lack of an error message during burn means that your disc is playable. Such is the cost of duplicating instead of replicating.

Good luck and best regards.

Taky Cheung May 24th, 2011 01:31 AM

I have done DVD DL several times. Use Encore to export to DVD folder. Then use ImgBurn. It will prompt you to select the layer break. Go with what the software suggest as you need to have similar amount of data on both layers. During playback, there is a split of a second pause during layer break however, it's not noticeable at all.

Peter Manojlovic May 24th, 2011 10:51 PM

Yes, thank you Taky...I've done it before reading your post, and it worked like a charm..

Question though...
Going this route, would it even matter within Encore, whether you use a setting for single, or dual layer DVD?
IMGBurn helps you choose the best break point anyways, so why have Encore "decide" what's best??

Taky Cheung May 24th, 2011 11:08 PM

Encore can also burn your DL disk so when you specified the type, it will also determine the layer break point for you. However, IMO Encore is flaky enough I only let it do the authoring to DVD folder. Then off load the burning job to ImgBurn. I did the same for BluRay too.