Dvd dl + vs - at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 20th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Dvd dl + vs -

High everyone. I know with regular DVDs that if you use the -R there is a better chance that the DVD will play in most DVD players. I have been searching for DL DVDs and it is harder to find -DL. Will the +DL work on most machines like the -R's?
Old June 21st, 2011, 05:29 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Dvd dl + vs -

Hi Calvin, for what it's worth, during the past several years I have burned and duplicated single sided dual layer DVD's in the hundreds with no problems what-so-ever. I have tested them on DVD, and Blu-Ray players ranging from high end to low end and they have all played fine, and to date, I have never had a customer complain of disk failures. This is not to say that some old outdated DVD players will not have problems. I have only been using Verbatim DVD+R DL injet printable blanks. Your burners need to be dual-layer compatable with up to date firmware. I hope this was helpful.
Eugene J. Kulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Trustee

I too have been distributing dl+ for several years, and have never had a customer complaint.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #4
Inner Circle

another vote for DL+ I use it for things like long musicals that are over 2hrs long
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Rule of thumb....

DVD -R, and DVD +DL (with bitsetting to DVD Rom) for compatibility...

I stick to Tayo Yuden's for DVD -R and Verbatims for DVD +DL..
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #6
Major Player

I vote for the +R DL rather than the -R DL: The -R DL discs are far more sensitive than +R DL media or any single-layer DVD media to even the tiniest of errors from the write lasers, and the resulting burns onto such media are much less compatible with standalone DVD players than +R DL discs or single-layer discs. Plus, +R DL discs can be bitset to DVD-ROM for increased compatibility with standalone DVD players (and on those burners that do not support bitsetting of single-layer +R media, +R DL media is automatically bitset to DVD-ROM no matter what).
Randall Leong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring