24 bit or 16 bit audio to DVD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 17th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

24 bit or 16 bit audio to DVD?

Exporting now and hoping I've picked the right one... my footage originated on a Sony PAL HDV camera, 1080i/50. I'm exporting using 'current settings' and have picked 24 bit audio as that sounds like higher quality. Am I right? Heading for a deadline so would appreciate a heads-up if I've picked the wrong one... thanks!
Leonie Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: 24 bit or 16 bit audio to DVD?

When I am doing a commercial project DVD master that is being used for replication I use AC3 audio at 320kb/s. This gives you more headroom for a higher video bitrate without a discernible drop in audio quality.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonie Reynolds View Post
Exporting now and hoping I've picked the right one... my footage originated on a Sony PAL HDV camera, 1080i/50. I'm exporting using 'current settings' and have picked 24 bit audio as that sounds like higher quality. Am I right? Heading for a deadline so would appreciate a heads-up if I've picked the wrong one... thanks!
24-bit is excellent, but if you have recorded in 16-bit, say, then it won't sound better than 16-bit.

PAL DVD audio is 16-bit 44KHz at roughly 128kbps, compressed into the MPEG-2 stream. You are all right, but you don't need 24-bit.
Old March 18th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks! Good to know.
Leonie Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Found this info in wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video

Quote:
The audio data on a DVD movie can be PCM, DTS, MPEG-1 Audio Layer II (MP2), or Dolby Digital (AC-3) format. In countries using the PAL system standard DVD-Video releases must contain at least one audio track using the PCM, MP2, or AC-3 format, and all standard PAL players must support all three of these formats. A similar standard exists in countries using the NTSC system, though with no requirement mandating the use of or support for the MP2 format. DTS audio is optional for all players, as DTS was not part of the initial draft standard and was added later; thus, many early players are unable to play DTS audio tracks. The vast majority of commercial DVD-Video releases today employ AC-3 audio.

The official allowed formats for the audio tracks on a DVD Video are:

PCM: 48 kHz or 96 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit or 24 bit Linear PCM, 2 to 6 channels, up to 6,144 kbit/s. N.B. 16-bit 48 kHz 8 channel PCM is allowed by the DVD-Video specification but is not well-supported by authoring applications or players.
AC-3: 48 kHz sampling rate, 1 to 5.1 (6) channels, up to 448 kbit/s
DTS: 48 kHz or 96 kHz sampling rate, 2 to 6.1 channels, Half Rate (768 kbit/s) or Full Rate (1,536 kbit/s)
MP2: 48 kHz sampling rate, 1 to 7.1 channels, up to 912 kbit/s

Last edited by Taky Cheung; March 18th, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonie Reynolds View Post
You have got it right. Even if the source is 16-bit, the audio should be be processed using 24-bits to reduce any audible effects of rounding errors during the mixing. When a 24-bit mix is exported as 16-bit, a dithering process is used to preserve the dynamic range. This works great for audio CDs. However, for a DVD with AC3 audio it is better to export as 24-bit without dithering and let the AC3 encoder perform all the quantization.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks, didn't understand all of that but I get the gist!
Leonie Reynolds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring