Loss of sound quality when making DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 9th, 2005, 10:21 AM   #1
New Boot

Loss of sound quality when making DVD

Hi all,

I have been using my new VX2100 with an Azden SGM2x shotgun mic and rycote softie for recording Pop Warner football games for local TV broadcast. My audio is great when monitoring it in the headphones and still good when listening to it on the computer. The sounds of helmets and shoulder pads hitting is great....but when I dump the finished video to DVD and play it on my tv, the sounds of helmets and shoulder pads is hardly noticable......

Why am I losing this sound frequency and how can I enhance it before cutting the DVD? Thanks.

Wayne
Wayne S. Collamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:56 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Wayne, your TV speakers don't have the dynamic range of your headphones. If you watch your DVD on a higher end home theater, you'd probably hear everything again. This is a common problem, and the solution is not to use much of the extreme ends of the frequency spectrum (no really deep bass sounds or really high sounds). You can also get more out of the existing audio spectrum with some EQ to maybe emphasize the sounds you are missing a little more -- but I'll leave it up to others who are more experienced than I to help there.

In the future, don't mix with headphones on (I'm assuming that's what you did). The subtleties you hear in your headphones will never transfer to TV.
Old September 9th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks

All I did was to import the video and audio into premiere pro ...... used audio as recorded. I did no mixing. I just noticed a significant difference in audio from the computer speakers compared to the tv speakers regarding the football hitting sounds. I will listen to the DVD on my computer with headphones to make sure that the original audio data is there......that will confirm that the tv speakers is the only issue I am dealing with.

Wayne
Wayne S. Collamore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring