DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   FCP to Compressor to DVD Sudio Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/51539-fcp-compressor-dvd-sudio-pro.html)

Tracey Dunn September 22nd, 2005 07:47 AM

FCP to Compressor to DVD Sudio Pro

I have a 2 1/2 minute demo set to music that I cannot burn to disc.
The project appears to export out of FCP to Compressor no problem. Compression formatting takes about 7 mins and it will also play in Compressor no problem.
Set up the parameters for an mpeg 2 file saved to the desktop. File will import from Compressor and play in the window on DVD Studio pro. If you click on the file marker on the desktop it opens the project in FCP and plays in a seperate window. So it will play in all three interfaces. However, when I attempt to burn a disc, it gives me a file format problem message and when you read the reason in the lower left window it says cannot locate video. I've tried DVD-R and -RW just to be safe, but it really doesn't get that far, so I'm almost sure it's not a disc problem. The burn button prompts me to insert a disc but it just kicks it out, when the error message kicks in so it doesn't really even attempt to start the burn process. I've tried doing it in iDVD but it won't even let me import the file.
I just need to get it onto disc to play in a stand alone DVD player as is, no menus etc for a sales meeting with a very significant client. I don't know if it is some kind of source problem in FCP but I'm out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tracey

Guy Cochran September 22nd, 2005 08:19 AM

Just shave out Compressor all together.

In FCP
Export > QuickTime Movie

In DVD SP
Go to Preferences> Encoding
Change it to VBR 6.0 and 6.8 max
Encode on build

Next,
Import your QuickTime Movie into your DVD SP assets
Create your menus

Insert a *fresh* DVD-R
Build and Format
(Go get some lunch, let DVD SP do the encoding for you now)

Todd Coffman September 23rd, 2005 02:09 PM

I've been there

Tracy I have had the same problem. I think I might be able to help you, but if I misunderstand your message I apologize. I have tried to export at MOV but I wasn't happy with the quality. But I admitt I haven't tried it as Guy explains. (I think I will try that too).
Here's what works for me.
When you export to compressor you have to export video and audio and they come out as separate files depending on what you have chosen in DVD pro.
I have also noticed that I can't seem to control where the exported files go when I export them. I don't know why but every time I have a project due, I don't have time to figure it out. Try this, it worked for me
Export to Compressor. In the batch process window you will see a heading labeled "Settings". Click the button for settings and choose the format you want(if it's a 2 minute video, I would choose the highest quality option in 16:9 or 4:3). I always choose "All" in the fly-out menu. That way it gives me the video and all the audio I will need in DVD Pro. Click Submit. When it is done close the compressor program and launch DVD pro. When you import you assets, for Location click on you hard drive and you should see all two or three files you created. Once imported, click the video and drag to the time line, then drag the audio file to the time line as well. In the graphical window delete the Menu 1 item and then burn. Anyone else please feel free to comment on my comments. My method is rudimentary at best.

Good Luck,
Todd Coffman

Tracey Dunn September 24th, 2005 12:22 AM

Reply to suggestions

Guy and Todd,
Thanks, I'll try both ways.
Guy, if I don't need to build menus, I assume I can skip that and go straight to the burn icon. I didn't know you can skip compressor and encode mpeg-2 in DVD SP. Do you not use Compressor at all? You might have to explain this to me like I am a 4-year-old, I have been running on very little sleep for several days. Also I am going to have to walk somebody not too familiar with the mac interface through this over the phone!
Todd, explain " graphical window delete menu 1 item"?
Also, in Compressor, the lower right window gives you two tabs, one of which gives you a choice of where to send your file. I just send it to the desktop, which is what it recommends anyway. Sorry but I'm not sitting in front of the interface as I type this.

Todd Coffman September 24th, 2005 03:25 PM

" graphical window delete menu 1 item"?
I have not been able to make a DVD in IDVD without a Menu. I was able to export my movie, then make it the footage that plays prior to the menu but the menu was always there. I don't like not having control over that. In DVD studio when you open up a new project in the upper left you will see 2 Icons one in blue which in the Menu 1 thingy (sorry to be so technical) and the green one is for the video, called Track 1. If you delete the blue one called Menu 1, then when you burn the disc as a DVD it will just automatically play the video when you put it in a DVD player. One thing though. I have found that sometimes I put the disc in, but I don't want to actually start it playing until I have all of the viewer's attention. If your project allows it, it is good to put a test pattern or maybe a simple title that fades to black, or just something at the beginning to get everyone's attention.
Good luck and happy burning,

Todd