Silly VHS to DVD Capture Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 26th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Silly VHS to DVD Capture Question

Throughout my many years with FCP i've never tried to do a project like this, but I have a client that wants a VHS tape xfer'd to DVD and I'm wondering if the FCP capture preset should be set to 720x480 for initial capture even though VHS analog is the source. I've captured by analog/digital conv through my GL2. I'm just going to make a few changes in the video, and then output to import in DVD Studio Pro, make simple menus and burn. My only worry is that if I capture at 720x480, FCP is going to grab the outer edge of the video signal that is being sent, and that is usually wavy white lines and I don't want to see those when burned to the DVD. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Michael

http://www.coalmarch.com
Michael Botkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Well, if it DOES grab the (poor) very edges, you will easily be able to crop them off using the Basic Motion/Crop controls. Usually a line or two off the top will suffice.

If it's really bad, (and this is a very important project) you should consider a capture device with a time base corrector, like the Canopus ADVC-110 or better.
Old September 26th, 2005, 08:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Those lines will get captured but the overscan on any normal TV you play the DVD on should place them off the visible part of the screen.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 01:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ya, I know they should be cropped off by the TV, I think I was just worried because the last time I captured from a VHS source I viewed the DVD and the lines were still visible, of course I was viewing on a 34" 16x9 monitor though, so anyway, no worries. Thanks for the comments.

http://www.coalmarch.com
Michael Botkin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring