Best Compression for 100 minutes on DVD... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old October 20th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Compression for 100 minutes on DVD...

Wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the best compression for a 100 minute video that was shot on miniDV to put on DVD. I am exporting the edited sequence from FCP 5.0 and I will be using DVD Studio Pro.
What is considered better for this, using Compressor or Quicktime?
And then what would be the best settings.

Thanks in advance for any help...
Jay Voog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 12:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

compression

I haven't used the encoder in DVDSP4 since I use compressor 2.

I find that when you export to compressor directly out of FCP5 the job takes forever.

Export to QT. then drop that QT into compressor. This is always much faster in the end. It does eat up extra drive space but who's counting these days.

Compressor has many settings that can be very useful depending on your needs. It's manual is worth studying.

lewis

Fear is faith it won't work out
Lewis Lehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:00 AM   #3

I like sorenson squeeze and have had very good luck with it. They have a trial version you may want to look into.

http://www.sorensonmedia.com/

Last edited by Guest; October 21st, 2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:10 AM   #4
Major Player

compressor should do a good job of this. use one of the presets that best fits your aspect ratio and your running time and you should be fine.
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. Briones
compressor should do a good job of this. use one of the presets that best fits your aspect ratio and your running time and you should be fine.
You would export with Compressor instead of Quicktime?
I am doing 4:3 ratio with 100 minutes of miniDV quality. The best preset would be NTSC 4:3, 120 minutes with Compressor, correct?

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old October 21st, 2005, 11:25 AM   #6
Major Player

Don't export to Compressor directly from the timeline - Lewis has it right. I would export a QuickTime movie from the timeline using the current sequence settings (the default when you choose Export>QuickTime Movie). You can uncheck "Make Self-Contained" if you want to save disk space - that just makes a reference movie. Then put the QuickTime movie into Compressor. You could use the preset, but you will probably get a better encode if you make your own preset. For 100 minutes on a single-layer DVD-R, I would use 2-pass VBR encoding with an average rate of 5 Mbps and a max rate of 7.8 Mbps, and I would encode the audio in AC-3. For stereo use 192 kbps, and see this article for settings for the AC-3 codec: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage..._warmouth.html.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 11:41 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info, Zach! Great!
Old October 21st, 2005, 01:17 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Mull
Don't export to Compressor directly from the timeline - Lewis has it right. I would export a QuickTime movie from the timeline using the current sequence settings (the default when you choose Export>QuickTime Movie). You can uncheck "Make Self-Contained" if you want to save disk space - that just makes a reference movie. Then put the QuickTime movie into Compressor. You could use the preset, but you will probably get a better encode if you make your own preset. For 100 minutes on a single-layer DVD-R, I would use 2-pass VBR encoding with an average rate of 5 Mbps and a max rate of 7.8 Mbps, and I would encode the audio in AC-3. For stereo use 192 kbps, and see this article for settings for the AC-3 codec: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage..._warmouth.html.
what quicktime movie export settings do you use? does it lose quality when it is compressed twice (quicktime + compressor)? this is all news to me. please explain.
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:53 PM   #9
Major Player

A.J.,

It's not compressed twice when you export as a QuikTime Movie out of FCP. FCP just basically assembles your cuts, filters, transtions and audio into a single QT file in the same codec as your time line. In older versions of FCP this was called Export as Final Cut Movie (I still call them that actually). If you choose to make it a reference movie as opposed to self contained, then the resulting QT movie will refer back to your cuts and filter and transition data to play back a movie.

My work flow is this:

1. Make movie in FCP 5
2. Export as self contained QuickTime movie. This is how I archive my projects if they need no more editing.
3. Encode to MPEG2 with BitVice. It will ask you if you want to save the audio track as an .aiff file, choose YES.
4. Encode .aiff as .AC3 file using a.pack. Refer to the article at kenstone.net that Zach linked to.
5. Import .m2v and .ac3 files into DVDSP 3 to author DVDs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring