How do you handle making multiple DVD copies at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 4th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How do you handle making multiple DVD copies

So currently, I edit in Vegas then create the DVD in DVD Architect and burn a disc. I then take that disc and Burn a copy using the "copy DVD" function of Nero and save the .nrg file (disc image). For subsequent copies I simply burn from the .nrg file.
Questions:
1. Should I save the disc image as an .iso file rather than .nrg (the nero format)
2. Is there a way using DVDA to make an iso directly?

I usually have to burn around 5-10 of any given DVD per month, anyone have any suggestions of a better way of doing this. thanks Mark
Vegas6+DVD
Mark Burlingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I found it. making .iso files directly inDVDA is under the "burn" function, which is a little misleading. M
Vegas6+DVD
Old January 12th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #3
Major Player

Mark have you checked where DVD Architect saves the "prepare" folders of the authored DVD. When you burn with DVD Architect it actually first made the neccessary files on your hard drive.
No need for you to copy burnt DVD back to hard drive in iso format, etc.
Just use DVD Architect (or Nero) to burn all the files (VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders) to a new DVD-R. You can set them up to copy multiply copies - you'll get just pormts to change the media.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 05:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Re: Multiple DVD copies

Along with the question/answer about the file type(nrg, iso etc) you might consider using two (or more?) DVD writers.

I have two LG units in my computer and run them simultaneously with NERO.

Works very well.

Martin
Martin Archer-Shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Multidrawer Duplicator Sytem another possibility.

For about $750.00 plus shipping I bought a 5 drawer burner duplicator system that has a hard drive on board. You put your proof copy into the disk drawer, and it automatically copies the disk, and stores it to the HD. Then you just load up drawers and it will copy single or dual layer disks, five at a time. Burning process takes about 7 minutes for 4.7 g single layer disk. The one I have has a 120 gig hard drive, so you can store about 20 or so disk images at a time on the HD, an keep coming back to copy. It only has a small lcd screen, and does not use a monitor. It is a stand alone unit.

Its something to consider if you find yourself doing this a lot.

Chris Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I built a 5 disk duplicator. If you do a search, I've listed the parts somewhere. I spent around 500.00 bucks. It was pretty easy to put together.
Old January 19th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

5 disk....

Think I found the link...

www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=42881

Martin
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Build Your Own, Cool

The one I bought is a stand alone and has its own rudimentary operating system. It does not connect to my PC. Do the build your own ones do that or are you hooked into a PC ?

Chris Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 01:05 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Controller, hard drive, software??

I see how one puts together the case,drives etc. but am somewhat confused as to how the system works. It sounds like there is no hard drive in some cases. Does this mean the controller also has firmware to direct the burning? If there is a hard drive then one assumes there has to be an operating system (windows XP?). is the new "box" connected to a main computer by , say, a USB cord?

basically, how is the system run???

Thanks
Martin
Old January 23rd, 2006, 03:37 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I converted a 2ghz P4 box into a storage and 3 disc burner box and just use nero to burn the isos made by DVDA to burn 3 dvds at a time. I just got a gigabit router/switch (both my editing box and the duper have gigabit network cards) should working for file transfer in a couple days. I also plan on using that box as a second renderer for Vegas as well.
As far as stand alone burners, you can get multi-drive controllers that also can burn discs from isos stored on an internal harddrive and they usually have some sort of connectivity to an external computer. I thought about building one, but ultimately I got 3 benq 1640s for $120 and nero 7 for $40 and burning 3 at a time is good enough for what I need. Mark
Vegas6+DVD
Old January 23rd, 2006, 04:01 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Multi Drawer Burner System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Archer-Shee
I see how one puts together the case,drives etc. but am somewhat confused as to how the system works. It sounds like there is no hard drive in some cases. Does this mean the controller also has firmware to direct the burning? If there is a hard drive then one assumes there has to be an operating system (windows XP?). is the new "box" connected to a main computer by , say, a USB cord?

basically, how is the system run???

Thanks
Martin

Martin:

In my unit, I have 1 drawer that reads the disk to be duplicated, and five units that burn. Each burner unit is dual layered, and burns up to 8 or 16 x (can't remember which.) The unit also has a hard drive. There is a rudimentary menu system which allows you to select a direct copy of a disc, whether cd or DVD. You can also burn an image of the disc to the hard drive. All this is controlled by a simple menu system displaying on a small LED screen. There is no connection to any other computer, though this company has an option that allows you to USB access to the burners from another computer. Yesterday I burnt a batch of 20 discs in about 40 minutes. I had already had the disc image stored from a previous burn.
Old January 24th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Many thanks Chris

I thought that might be the routine as to how the controller and burners worked but was not really sure. Your explanation is really helpful and I am sure a number of other readers have/will found it so also.

Martin
Martin Archer-Shee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring