printing DVD labels at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old January 22nd, 2006, 03:07 AM   #1
Major Player

printing DVD labels

Hi, I'm getting ready to send various reels to different networks across the country. I want to know if it is possible to purchase a kit that will completely allow you to laser etch /color DVD surfaces. I know lightscribe is a possibility, but I doubt it does full color. Is there a company that does print jobs on top of the DVDs? I'm not talking about the print and paste label, that just looks cheap, i'm talking about actually printing on top of the DVD in full color. If so, where can I find a company like this, any testimonials?
Thanks
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Printing DVD/CDS

Spike:

I looked at this a little while back, and determined that best available was the discs with a printable surface. You can get discs with either white or a silvery printable surface. Technology may now be changing. But I have gotten good results with these, and the Epson R220 printer which has a disk printer. It also has a decent piece of software to design a professional looking disc.

Chris Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:59 AM   #3
Major Player

I'll second that, I release low volume sell-thru DVD's using an Epson R300 and the results look great!
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 12:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Printing DVD labels

Same here, I just did 100 DVD's for a friend. I used a R300, looked great, he thought I took them to a print shop to have them done. And the best part it only took avout 2 hours to do all 100. John
John Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 12:56 PM   #5
Trustee

I use an R200 (after my 960's head become clogged - haven't fixed it yet - I now use Epson ink only). Fairly easy pass-through style printing tray for the DVDs. Also, using photo-grade inserts (I get my caseliners from Fry's, but they are Meritline's), you can use the same printer to print case covers. Oh, Meritline has a free application to do basic covers linked from where they sell the covers. It does basic text and picture inserts. But since it will do graphics (open file, paste here, resize), the quality of the covers goes up with your photoshop skills.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 12:56 PM   #6
Major Player

hi guys, looks great to me. I just have to confirm, it prints ON the disk instead of on a label, which is then stuck to the disk, correct?

Just making sure!
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 02:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Disk themselves have blank label

Spike:

Yes, they have a blank face that can accept photo printing. I actually bought some at WalMart on my last project. So far I ve only used the white ones, but will eventually check out the silvery ones.

Chris Barcellos
Old January 25th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #8
Major Player

With respect to the stick-on labels, I think that most DVD experts have concerns that labels a) cause or accelerate delamination of the dye layer and b) can cause the disk to wobble due to imbalance - causing problems with data transfer.

Best advice, go for the color printers mentioned above. You get a great looking image for the $.
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Also, the first time one of your stick-on labels ruins someone's slot-load player, you'll really regret it! Use printable discs...
Barry Werger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #10
Major Player

After struggling with using my new CD Stomper Labels with my older CD Stomper stomper, having to carefully peel the peforated tabs off each one, and then having the labels occasionally lift off the disc days later, I finnaly said "forget it".

I just ordered my Epson Stylus Photo R220 printer. I run very small jobs - either one-off check discs or duplication masters. It's nice to hear others positive feedback on the Epson line. And not bad for $99! I feel like I made the right choice.

I love this place...
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I have the R320 and love it!!! i will never go back to peel and stick again.
Max Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #12
Regular Crew

In a related topic, has anyone seen (and perhaps even used) the TDK photo quality printable DVD media? Seems like it was announced months ago, but still not readily, if at all, available.

Mike.
Old January 26th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #13
Major Player

TDK Media

Mike,

I have found the TDK printable media, both +r and -r at Costco. I purchased and used some one time when I was in a pinch and needed a few discs. I prefer other brands and generally purchase online at www.supermediastore. I find better pricing and the brands I prefer there.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Lloyd, thanks for the link, but that's just the garden variety matt finish DVD media that has been around for a while. What I am looking for is a special, glossy surface media, apparently only made by TDK. The surface is like that of photo quality inkjet paper.

I did find the media at www.tdk.com/recmedia/dvd/printondvd.html, which is TDK's online store. They want $3.99 (!) for a single disk.

Has anyone tried this and if so, what is your experience?
Old January 26th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #15
Major Player

I use a IP4000 canon printer. I figured if I use a canon camcorder, why not stick with the brand? :))

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring