DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   All in one printer? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/61634-all-one-printer.html)

K. Forman February 27th, 2006 08:15 AM

All in one printer?

I am looking to upgrade my Epson all in one unit, for one that works. Are there any that will also print DVDs? Will any flatbed printer print on a DVD face, or do I need a special unit?

Mark Burlingame February 27th, 2006 03:34 PM

There are a few DVD printers made by primavera and Bravo (I think) but they are a lot more money than the epson. Even the Canon printers that print DVDs have the feature disabled in the US models.

K. Forman February 27th, 2006 03:47 PM

I know some folk have regular flatbed printers, that will work with disks. I'm not sure which ones, or if any flatbed will work.

Seth Bloombaum February 28th, 2006 11:28 AM

If by "all in one" you mean one of the printer/scanner/copy machine/fax machine units, I don't think there are any available that also print on CD/DVD faces.

The Epson Stylus Photo R200, R220, R300 (there may be some more models in this series) do an excellent job of laying ink on the disk. The included application isn't the greatest layout tool, but really does print well, and you can do your layouts in photoshop or whatever and import bitmaps into the Epson PrintCD tool.

The printed disks really look great. You do need the inkjet-printable media.

John L Scott February 28th, 2006 12:48 PM

I have found that a "all in one" printer uses way to many resources and often times doesn't work on the older home PCs very good. I use the R220 and it's great for what I do. I would not suggest it for production work though. You can almost buy another printer for what the ink cost in many cases.

K. Forman February 28th, 2006 01:31 PM

There is so one company, and only one, that make printers that print on CDs. Epson. And, yes they do have an all-in-one unit, the R700. I like the all in one's, as they take up less space than the individual scanners, printers, and a copier.

The problem I have, is the unit I have is an Epson, that has been having progressivly worse problems. I only had it a short time before I was getting scanner errors. Epson wanted me to pay for the shipping to them, and back. That is too much cost and trouble for a $100 machine. So, I am leary of Epsons now, and looking for a more reliable replacement.

Dionyssios Chalkias March 1st, 2006 06:00 AM

This Canon will print on CD/DVDs. Other Canon models do - older ones as well.

http://www.canon.com.au/products/hom...rs/ip4200.html

K. Forman March 1st, 2006 07:25 AM

Thanks for pointing that out Dionyssios. I was surfing and calling all day yesterday, and the Pixma never came up. I believe I even called Canon, and they told me they had nothing that would print on CDs. Thanks again, I now have a new option, other than Epson.

K. Forman March 1st, 2006 07:35 AM

Ok... I just got off the phone with Canon. I asked about printers that can print on CDs, and the woman assured me they had none. As I'm looking at the Canon website, in the Pixma description where it is clearly stated it WILL print on CDs, she is saying it will not. Nothing in the US will do this, but the same thing in Australia will. Is this really messed up, or is it me?

Dionyssios Chalkias March 1st, 2006 08:02 AM

In Europe they do print on CDs. I guess the lady was wrong? Why don't you get to a store, buy a printable CD and ask for a demonstration? Or just take a look at the box contents of the demo unit? There should be a CD tray.

K. Forman March 1st, 2006 08:12 AM

I guess it depends on if there are any physical differences in US and the units in the rest of the world. They are steadfast in telling me nothing will work in the US, except Epson. The Pixma line had one unit, the MP450, that is an all in one. But doesn't say if it will do CDs. Of course, it seems to be a waste of time asking any sales people here about it.