The unofficial "official" DVD logo for your projects - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old April 27th, 2006, 06:16 AM   #16
Major Player

In looking at the "official" website - it looks to me like the license fee is only for manufacturers of burners/players/disks - not for DVD content producers.

from the website:
who needs the license?
You do, if you fall under any of the following categories.
1. Replicators/Manufacturers of DVD Discs
2. Manufacturers of DVD Players, DVD Recorders, DVD Drives and DVD Decoders. Also, makers of personal computers that incorporate DVD Drives, DVD Players or DVD Decoders are required to have them.
3. Manufacturers of other DVD Products that utilize the information disclosed in the DVD Format Book. These include manufacturers of Integrated Circuits and Encoders, as well as Formatters, etc.

I've had DVDs mass produced by a big name replication house, with the DVD logo on the cover art, and there wasn't any mention of not being able to use the DVD logo.
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bobson
In looking at the "official" website - it looks to me like the license fee is only for manufacturers of burners/players/disks - not for DVD content producers.

from the website:
who needs the license?
You do, if you fall under any of the following categories.
1. Replicators/Manufacturers of DVD Discs
2. Manufacturers of DVD Players, DVD Recorders, DVD Drives and DVD Decoders. Also, makers of personal computers that incorporate DVD Drives, DVD Players or DVD Decoders are required to have them.
3. Manufacturers of other DVD Products that utilize the information disclosed in the DVD Format Book. These include manufacturers of Integrated Circuits and Encoders, as well as Formatters, etc.

I've had DVDs mass produced by a big name replication house, with the DVD logo on the cover art, and there wasn't any mention of not being able to use the DVD logo.
You have to read further:

The Logo authenticates the product as being legitimate and better Format compliant. It means that the only Logo that may appear on a product is the Logo of the Format used to manufacture the item. For example, it would be wrong to use the DVD Video Logo on a DVD-R disc that was authored to include visual material.

When you read everything there it is very clear that it is a violation of trademark laws to use the symbol.
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #18
Trustee

you have to read even further than that, under Use of the Logo by Non-Licensees:

"** Video productions, authoring studios, contents providers

If they use DVD FLLCfs Licensed Replicators, they are able to use the DVD Logo under the instructions of the Replicators."

note that the website also sez that dvd+rw discs are never allowed to use the dvd logo.

so if you go with a licensed replicator there should be no problem... but that does not solve the issue for those of us who burn dvd -r's at home.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 01:27 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Soory, I didn't clarify, I was referring to those of us that do it ourselves, not replicators.
Old May 29th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson
Thanks for the links Chris. I have a project now that will be released as audio and DVD, this will help identify the discs. It is better that the logo I made.
You're quite welcome. I'm glad somebody appreciated it.

I must say I'm at least a little disappointed in the reaction my post provoked. I would've hoped that being content producers ourselves we would be more aware of the importance of respecting others intellectual property.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #21
Inner Circle

would help if the page had the logos to look at...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #22
Trustee

Exactly what I was thinking!

Anyway, here is the real logo, if you have the authorization.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DVD-Video 1.zip (6.2 KB, 640 views)
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
If you open the link in the first post of this thread and click at the botton of the page, you can download the free use logos.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #24
Inner Circle

nup dont work mate
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
Unfortunately, as you discovered the DVD logo preview thumbnails and the links to the JPEG versions on the ArtofDVD.com page are broken. So I have taken the liberty of providing them on my own site (which is allowed under the license). Anyone wishing to preview the free ArtofDVD.com logo and/or download the JPEG version can visit my DVD Logos page.

Anyone wishing to download the ArtofDVD.com logo Photoshop file can still get it from the ArtofDVD.com page. It is avaible at the bottom of the page through the "Click here for a zip archive with a Photoshop file and the license" link.

Last edited by Christopher Lefchik; June 9th, 2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old October 5th, 2007, 06:59 AM   #26
Stembridge

I realize this is a little dated; but I was wondering if artofdvd.com created an "alternate design" what's keeping others from creating their own design, as long as it doesn't look like the design?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lefchik View Post
As many of you probably already know, it is against the DVD Format Logo Licensing Corporation (DVD FLLC) rules to use the official DVD logo on discs you burn yourself (i.e., DVD+/-R media). In light of this situation, artofdvd.com has kindly provided, in consultation with the DVD FLLC, a DVD logo free of charge for your DVD projects. Find out more and download the logo at artofdvd.com.
Old October 5th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #27
Inner Circle

The Replication company licenses the right, and may place the logo on REPLICATED material. They are responsible for meeting the specs.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #28
Stembridge

Athens Video created their own design:

http://www.athensvideo.com/

"5-02- 2006: Free DVD Logo to use however you want. If you want to use the other well-known DVD logo on anything, you must pay a licensing fee for that right. This is fair, because the logo represents certain standards. However, it is a hassle to obtain those rights, and it costs money. We use our own DVD logo, which we are distributing free to anyone who wants to use it.
Download here:(http://www.athensvideo.com/gallery/AlternateDVDlogo.jpg)"

Last edited by Stembridge; October 5th, 2007 at 07:28 AM. Reason: double post... changed content
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stembridge View Post
I realize this is a little dated; but I was wondering if artofdvd.com created an "alternate design" what's keeping others from creating their own design, as long as it doesn't look like the design?

Thanks!
I would guess it would probably be okay, but not being familiar with the legal angles in this circumstance, I'm afraid my answer would be "I don't know." ArtofDVD.com's logo was developed in consultation with the DVD FLLC, so in that sense it apparently has some official blessing from the powers that be.

Last edited by Christopher Lefchik; October 6th, 2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #30
Stembridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lefchik View Post
ArtofDVD.com's logo was developed in consultation with the DVD FLLC, so in that sense it apparently has some official blessing from the powers that be.
Just curious... I didn't see anything about this fact on Eliot's website (ArtofDVD.com). How do you know this for certain?
Thank you very much!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring