dvd rom on strike and need to burn my videos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 5th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

dvd rom on strike and need to burn my videos

untill about an hour ago i was readinga and writing cds. all of a sudden when i put any cds or dvds in the my NEC OEM drive it doesnt run them. in fact they dont turn and make the turbo sound.

i tried unintalling it from the device manager but no help.
I also have noticed that since this happen my computer is working very slow and crashed once.
it sounds like spyware i know but i have a firewall and havent dont anything suspicious today or yesterday.

helllllllllllllp i have to turn in a project very very soon and i need my computer to work right
Dan Farzad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Have you run a full virus scan?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

yes it actually found some trojans and adwares and junks but the dvd rom still doesnt run the CDs/DVDs in fact it kinda freezes and then starts when a new cd is insterted.
Old March 6th, 2006, 04:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Since this is something you need fixed right away, I'd suggest taking it to a qualified tech at this point. From what you've told me thus far, it could wind up being pretty slow to troubleshoot and get it fixed this way.
Old March 6th, 2006, 04:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

i will transfer and burn my dvd on my mac but i need to get this fix anyways.
i ran windows defender and no more spyware are found.

any suggestion where to start to trouble shoot>?
could the drive suddenly go bad?
device manager says drive works normally.
Old March 6th, 2006, 05:35 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Is the drive working at all (I'm not sure what you mean by freezes then starts - and was it doing that before you ran anti-virus, or just plain dead)? Are you having any other difficulties since running the anti-virus?
Old March 6th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

when i insert a cd and click on the cd icon in my computer, it slows down the computer to look for the content and after like 20 seconds it says no cd inserted.
also when i insert the cds it doensnt seem like it is running the cds it just makes some glitch kinda noise.
it worked just fine and as soon as the problems started i ran the anti virus.
my computer is a dual core amd 64 with 2 gig of ram running xp pro
Old March 6th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I'd try replacing the drive.
Old March 6th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #9
Major Player

This sounds similar to what one of my old DVD-ROM drives did when it died. It seemed to power up properly, it would chug away at a disc for a few seconds, then... nothing. It would claim no CD/DVD was inserted. The Device Manager said the drive was working properly, but it clearly wasn't. The drive had worked fine up until that point.

A replacement drive worked fine in the same slot. The broken DVD drive won't work in any other computer, whether plugged into an IDE channel or hooked up to an external box.

So even though the Device Manager tells you the drive is OK, you're probably better off ditching the drive and getting a new one.

The only other question I would have is if you play video games on this computer. One form of videogame copy protection has been known to cause similar problems. But, honestly, my guess is that you have a broken drive.
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #10
Inner Circle

The lens could be dirty, but I've never really had much luck with trying to clean lenses in a CD or DVD drive. Even if it helps, usually the drive is unreliable at best from there on out. A good replacement drive can be purchased for around $40(USD), shipping included, and should solve the problem.
Old March 9th, 2006, 03:34 AM   #11
Regular Crew

robert,
thats what i though replacing it. however eventhough the drive is probably 6-7 month old, i bough it OEM with no box so i wonder is there is any warranty on it past 90 days.

for a new drive its odd to go down..!
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Like Robert said...the first and simplest troubleshooting step is to either take the drive to another computer, or a known good drive to this computer. Also, have you recently done any work in the case? An IDE cable that was reversed on a CD has produced the same result for me in the past. Check all your cables to make sure there is not a loose connection.

If you bought it OEM I doubt that there is much of a warrenty to it. If you determine that the unit is bad contact the seller, they might be able to do something if they are a dealer and not just kid selling out of his basement. You can also check the manufacturer's website for any ideas.

Just a couple of ideas, Good luck!

Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring