Trouble with DVD burning - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #16
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Carlsbad CA
Posts: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lefchik
You have to rely on the media ID to tell you whether the disk is good or bad. See this guide that tells you what is the quality of the different manufacturers, the media IDs, and which brands use which manufacturers.
you can't rely on the media id, because it can and has been faked during the manufacturing process of the disc... even taiyo-yuden dvd's have been faked.

at this point in time, it appears that both maxell and taiyo-yuden have seperate product lines that might have been manufactured in both japan and taiwan(or elsewhere?).

maxell used to be made only in japan, and i suspect that is what you are getting if you buy the discs in lots of 100... but there are many claims that the retail maxell you get at the department store is manufactured elsewhere.

supermediastore.com is now selling a taiyo-yuden "value line" product, in addition to the standard taiyo-yuden lineup... is this "value line" also manufactured in japan?
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:35 PM   #17
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
you can't rely on the media id, because it can and has been faked during the manufacturing process of the disc... even taiyo-yuden dvd's have been faked.
As I've heard. It should go without saying that one should only purchase from a reputable store, but I probably should have said it, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
at this point in time, it appears that both maxell and taiyo-yuden have seperate product lines that might have been manufactured in both japan and taiwan(or elsewhere?).
Really? I didn't know that.

Still, since one obviously can't check the media ID while the discs are in their packages at the store, buying only made in Japan DVDs is a fairly sure way of getting good quality media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
maxell used to be made only in japan, and i suspect that is what you are getting if you buy the discs in lots of 100... but there are many claims that the retail maxell you get at the department store is manufactured elsewhere.
Well, all one has to do is look at the label. But as long as the quality control is up to par at all the Maxell plants, there shouldn't be any reason to worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
supermediastore.com is now selling a taiyo-yuden "value line" product, in addition to the standard taiyo-yuden lineup... is this "value line" also manufactured in japan?
I honestly have no idea. I didn't even know Taiyo-Yuden had brought out a value line.
__________________
Christopher Lefchik :: My Spot on the WWW

:: Got questions? Need answers? Try a DV Info search! ::
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:25 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network