DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   Video jumps on certain DVD Player (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/69151-video-jumps-certain-dvd-player.html)

Nathaniel McInnes June 8th, 2006 11:07 AM

Video jumps on certain DVD Player

Hey people.
i got a big question. when i create a dvd in IDVD on the mac it works fine in all computers and most dvd player. when i play it my friends or a some other dvd players ive noticed that the video will play fine but the audio jumps or vice versa. i then tried making a dvd on my laptop on my windows computer using record now and the same problem happended. i use DVD-R Discs. could it be the discs???

Nathaniel McInnes June 11th, 2006 01:56 PM

i think it might be to do with the different dyes on the discs

Kevin Calumpit June 22nd, 2006 10:55 AM

it has to do with the Variable Bit rate im not sure if you can set this in iDVD but when the Variable Bit Rate(VBR) is set above a certain number i think its higher than 7.5 or 8.5 cant remember in some players is will be choppy.

Nathaniel McInnes June 22nd, 2006 01:36 PM

Ive been on the phone to Apple Enterprise dept. and they say it cant be the bit rate because the bit rate in IDVD 6 is 5.5 and they said they are not unaware of this problem that they have lots of people phoning every week about this problem and they say its to do with the dyes on the disk

Barry Oppenheim June 23rd, 2006 03:58 PM

My experience with discs not playing in older players is that it has more to do with the burn speed than the bit rate. I've made tons of DVD's and will occasionally have someone call me and say it won't work in their player.

If I reburn the project at 16x and give them a new disc, it still will not work. However, if I reburn the same DVD image file, in the same burner, using the same batch of blank discs, but at a lower speed (usually 4-8x instead of 16x), it will play fine.

If you go to www.dvdrhelp.com there a several threads on getting more "coasters" when burning some brand discs at high speed.

Barry

Emre Safak June 23rd, 2006 09:46 PM

I just made a high bit rate DVD and the sound would not play at all on certain DVD players. It was not choppy.

Nathaniel McInnes June 24th, 2006 03:40 PM

hey people is there a way of seeing the bit rate of a certain dvd???

Barry Oppenheim June 26th, 2006 11:05 AM

My Sony DVD player (sorry I can't remember which model) has an item on the menu that displays the bit rate while the DVD is playing. Don't know if other manufacturers have this. You might check in your owners manual (I found out by accident while playing with the DVD player setup).

One thing that surprised me was how low the bit rate was on commercial DVD's. I played a few commercial action films and the bit rate rarely approached the top end. I wonder if I've been wasting space trying to render my own projects at close to the top end bit rate if possible

Barry