DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   HDV and dvd (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/69570-hdv-dvd.html)

Amos Kim June 15th, 2006 01:07 AM

HDV and dvd

Does anybody know if HDV footage can be burned onto dvd? or will we have to wait for hd-dvd or blu ray?

Christopher Lefchik June 15th, 2006 07:19 AM

You can put Windows Media HD footage on a DVD, but I think there may only be a few DVD players that can play that footage, aside from computers with the Windows Media Player, of course. I'm afraid you will just have to wait for adoption of HD-DVD and Blue Ray before there's a widespread viable option for delivering HD content.

Jarrod Whaley June 15th, 2006 08:20 AM

You can always downconvert.

Amos Kim June 15th, 2006 11:56 PM

So if there is a way to burn hdv onto dvd, it won't be true quality HDV? I heard somewhere that dvd studio pro is able to burn HD onto dvd, but I'm guessing it won't be true HD that the dvd will play.

Jarrod Whaley June 16th, 2006 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amos Kim
So if there is a way to burn hdv onto dvd, it won't be true quality HDV?

That is correct. DVD's are standard definition. At least until either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray takes off.

Emre Safak June 16th, 2006 10:37 AM

Render it in H.264 and WM9; both are standard codecs for HD. The media might not be there but at least your videos will be ready.

Mark Sloan June 20th, 2006 04:56 PM

Can someone clarify here? I have heard people burning HDV content to DVD discs but these will only play in Apple computers. Correct? Based on that, what they are doing is burning HDV files to a DVD -R disc using the spec for HD-DVD or Blu-Ray? So these discs might never play in an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player because they may only support HD-DVD (or Blu-Ray) discs with HD content right? But really, the laser and codec support is there so the players _could_ support DVD -R discs with HD content?

Christopher Lefchik June 21st, 2006 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Sloan
Can someone clarify here? I have heard people burning HDV content to DVD discs but these will only play in Apple computers. Correct?

It’s probably MPEG-4 H.264 encoded video, which will play on Windows computers as well, so long as the free QuickTime 7 player is installed.

Quote:

Based on that, what they are doing is burning HDV files to a DVD -R disc using the spec for HD-DVD or Blu-Ray?

If by spec you mean video formats such as H.264 or Windows Media HD, then you’re probably right.

Quote:

So these discs might never play in an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player because they may only support HD-DVD (or Blu-Ray) discs with HD content right? But really, the laser and codec support is there so the players _could_ support DVD -R discs with HD content?

I believe there are a few DVD players now that can play certain video files directly off of a DVD, such as MPEG-4, DivX, and WM. So there is the possibility that at least some of the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players could offer similar functionality.