DVD authoring quality video & audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 27th, 2003, 10:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD authoring quality video & audio

OK, I am ready to get a DVD burner and authoring software.

I've checked out the DVD Architect demo and it seems stable and very easy to use. The only thing holding me back from the purchase is a thread from last week when Brad Higerd and others were discussing suboptimal quality (mostly audio) using the Mainconcept MPEG2 in VV. He found rendering to avi and then letting Sonic DVD convert to MPEG2 yielded better results.

Can anyone else comment on the results of their DVDs made on Architect or Sonic products? Has the image and sound quality been great?

Another interesting point Brad made was that letting Sonic DVD convert avi to MPEG2 yielded a DVD which required more disk space than rendering to MPEG2 with VV and making a DVD with Architect. This at least suggests that more quality (data) is being preserved in the Sonic conversion.

Any input would be greatly appreciated since I want to upgrade to VV4 and need to know whether to get Architect too.
Dan Measel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 06:08 AM   #2
Major Player

DVD authoring quality

I don't know the products from personal experience but noting that the AC-3 codec is present explains the different file sizes. WAV takes up lots more space than AC-3. The video portion is probably close to identical and the saving is in audio.
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 02:35 PM   #3
RED Code Chef

Audio is not in MPEG for DVD, but AC3 (Dolby Digital). So if they
were talking bad audio it should come through problems with
their AC3 encoder and not their MPEG Encoder.

I haven't really looked at the procut myself yet, so can't tell you
much more than this. Sorry.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 09:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback. That definitely helps me understand this whole process better.
Dan Measel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring