After DVD Burn image is not full screen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old October 6th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #1
New Boot

After DVD Burn image is not full screen

Hello and thanks for considering my question. I am new to the forum and new to DV Production. I recently shot a project using a Canon XL. I captured the images using Adobe Premier Pro. When I look at the properties of the captured footage is says:
Image Size = 720 x 480 pixesls
Frame Rate = 29.7
I am not sure what else might be relavent.

I have finished editing the project and I am trying to export to DVD. I have selected NTSC Progressive 4:3, 29.7, 7MB. The DVD produces fine and I can view on computer and on TV through DVD player and it looks great. However, the image on computer does not fill up the entire window and image on TV does not fill up entire screen. There is a black border (about 1 inch on TV) of seemingly equal proportions around entire image. I tried 16:9 also but I get an image on TV that looks stretched vertically.

By the way, when I look in the output window in Adobe Premier Pro export window the image also seems to have a black border around it.

What am I missing here. Can anyone tell me how to get the image to fill the computer DVD viewing window and the TV screen. If you need more information let me know.
Thanks again in advance.
Jim
James J Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I am still in the learning stages myself so heed more the comments of others which follow.

Premiere Pro as far as I can tell, seems to automatically size the timeline monitor image display on a single computer screen to display timeline clips in full scale.

But I think underneath all this it operates to cover a full HD scale image. You start to see different things if you mix SD and HDV clips on the same timeline. Project preference settings also come into play here.

When you choose "export to DVD" and get a menu of choices, look at the bottom left and bottom right corners of the tile in the grey area. You will see on the left in simple text, the scale or pixel dimensions of the source material and on the right the scale or pixel dimensions of the export.

These two must be identical for the exported image not to be resized or edge cropped as you describe.

The menu selection tile which comes down on the upper right of the computer screen, also gives you a drop down list of various settings and export formats. I can't remember now if this also gives you choices with the DVD export.

I tend to operate on faith with this part of the process and so far touch wood have not been confronted with disaster.

Hope this helps.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart
I am still in the learning stages myself so heed more the comments of others which follow.

Premiere Pro as far as I can tell, seems to automatically size the timeline monitor image display on a single computer screen to display timeline clips in full scale.

But I think underneath all this it operates to cover a full HD scale image. You start to see different things if you mix SD and HDV clips on the same timeline. Project preference settings also come into play here.

When you choose "export to DVD" and get a menu of choices, look at the bottom left and bottom right corners of the tile in the grey area. You will see on the left in simple text, the scale or pixel dimensions of the source material and on the right the scale or pixel dimensions of the export.

These two must be identical for the exported image not to be resized or edge cropped as you describe.

The menu selection tile which comes down on the upper right of the computer screen, also gives you a drop down list of various settings and export formats. I can't remember now if this also gives you choices with the DVD export.

I tend to operate on faith with this part of the process and so far touch wood have not been confronted with disaster.

Hope this helps.
Thanks much for responding Bob,

When I open up the Export to DVD window and in the encoding box, clidk on settings a window opens up the has settings on the right and viewing window on the left with an input and output tab. In that window Input size is displayed on the lower left and Output size is displayed on the lower right. They both say 720w x 480h.
Old October 7th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

James.

I think there is another thing you can try if all your project settings are correct.

Go to the timeline, right click on the clip. There may come up a menu. One of the items says "scale to frame". Try that function. Render preview, then export to DVD and see what happens.

If I get a bit of time. I'll have another look at that myself. I think I used it once when mixing 4:3 MiniDV after masking it to look like letterbox and 16:9 HDV cineform. The DVD export was fine then.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart
James.

I think there is another thing you can try if all your project settings are correct.

Go to the timeline, right click on the clip. There may come up a menu. One of the items says "scale to frame". Try that function. Render preview, then export to DVD and see what happens.

If I get a bit of time. I'll have another look at that myself. I think I used it once when mixing 4:3 MiniDV after masking it to look like letterbox and 16:9 HDV cineform. The DVD export was fine then.
Thanks again.

I have a lot of different clips on the timeline for my project. So would I have to try this for every clip?

Anyway, I think I might have found the problem but I am not sure how to solve it. It looks like I defined the project initially in Premier Pro with 16:9 Video size instead of 4:3. And as far as I can tell you cannot change that after the project is started. I opened a new project and set it as 4:3 viedo frame size imported some of my existing clips and it all works perfectly. So the question seems to be how to change the video size setting for the project I have worked on for hours or export the project to new project with proper video frame definition with minimal work. Any Ideas?
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #6
New Boot

For anyone reading the post I did arrive at a final solution and here it is:

I followed the following steps:
1) I exported my 16:9 project as a 16:9 .avi movie.
2) Then I defined a new project with a 4:3 video setting. I imported the exported 16:9 avi file into the project manager.
3) Then I dragged that file onto the timline and it displays perfectly.

It essentially crops the 16:9 image down to 4:3 which is fine by me because my original video was shot at a 4:3 image size and when placed in a 16:9 project had a black border on either side of the image that I wanted removed. The end result was exactly what I wanted without any distortion and at full screen.
James J Gallagher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring