dvd is scratched, no back up =( at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 30th, 2006, 05:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

dvd is scratched, no back up =(

either the client or me personally has scratched the disc on the last 2 mins and it is impossible to see the ending episode and credits.I want somehow to transfer this footage from dvd to premiere.I have no back up,only tapes and this scratched disc.I have deleted the edited footage from PC as it was done 1 month ago and then the clients went for honeymoon.
what program do you use for convertion and is there a quality loss when transferring back to .avi?thank you!
Denis Potasnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Wow! I guess you learned to never get rid of any files and to make at least a backup copy for yourself next time.

To salvage what you have you could try and make a disc image onto your hard drive. The drive would work to read through the scratched portion and might be able to create the image. Once the disc image is on the drive you just make copies of it back onto new discs.

I'm not sure what software you have, but for simple projects like that I use Sonic Record Now. It came with a drive a couple years back. I doubt it would cost much to purchase.

If that fails you may need to look at options for removing the scratch but I don't have any recommendations on how to go about doing that.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle

take it to your local video hire store
they have these units called "disc wizard"
most video stores who want to protect their investments have these.
These are abrasive cleaners and literally buff out the scratch with a combination of chemicals and friction.

These machines are quite big, and can usually do 2 discs at once. theyre are usually 4 steps (or 4 different buffing sppols)
Takes about 7 minutes to repair a disc, depending on the depth of teh scratch.

U can only repair a disc maybe twice.. 3 times ir ur lucky.
It shouldnt cost more than 5 bux to fix.

do NOT i repeat, do NOT use those handheld rotation "cleaners" as these will damage the disc further, In essence, they work the same principle, but the rotations by hand jsut cannot give u a clean buff as a machine rotating abotu 3000rpm. Dont bother with manual or chemical only "fiixes" .. trust me, ive tried almost every method.. these disc wizard machines work.

below is a sample of different models.
Most video shops hav a variant of these.

http://www.discstation.com.au/catego...&categoryid=16
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

As Ben indicates, your computer system may be able to read what the DVD player cannot. Try that first, before going to the reconditioning attempt.
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Before you go the professional cleaning route, I would try ripping an image (an .iso file) from the dvd first.

Try one of these free programs:

DVD Shrink

DVD Decrypter

I've used both. The quality of your DVD player on the computer will have some bearing, but you might get lucky and be able to rip the ISO. Try quite a few times before giving up, as it only takes once.

Good luck.
James Landsburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 02:00 AM   #6
Regular Crew

thank you guys,i successfully ripped the disc.
Denis Potasnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 04:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Could save the day!

http://www.scratch-busters.com/

Just found this mob. Worth adding just in case!
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring