Progressive and interlaced movies together on one DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 31st, 2006, 10:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Progressive and interlaced movies together on one DVD

Graeme mentioned the other day that “there are plenty of ‘mixed’ interlaced and progressive DVDs out there” — well that’s just what I want to find out more about.

Let’s say we have some Sony HDV footage in 1080i, and some JVC HDV footage in 720p , and we are creating a commercial DVD where we want both types of footage to appear, on different tracks (different menu items) of the DVD. Is this a problem, or is this easy?

We figure we can create a JVC progressive Final Cut Pro sequence and export that into DVD Studio Pro as progressive MPEG-2, standard definition and used that for most of the tracks of the DVD...and then also create a 1080i sequence, and similarly export that into DVD Studio pro as an interlaced MPEG-2 standard definition — and put that in it’s own separate track in the DVD Studio Pro Project — and compile that into a DVD.

But we’re not sure. Is there something special we need to know to make this work? Some special settings in FCP or Studio Pro?

Will DVD Studio Pro accept this differing output in a a single project? We haven’t tried it yet and we’re hoping someone here has the answer at hand.

We also want to be certain that that DVD will play normally in the homes of the people who buy it.

and one other thing: We wonder if it would it be better to deinterlace the Sony 1080i footage and place it into the JVC 720p sequence (?-possible?), and export it with the rest of the JVC footage as a progressive MPEG-2 (SD) into DVD Studio Pro, NTSC...? Would that be a better approach...?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring