Question about DVD logo. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old November 7th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Question about DVD logo.

Hi, I will be putting my film on DVD soon and giving copies away for free. I do not intend on selling or making any profit from these DVDs, so can I use the DVD logo on my discs and inserts without breaking any rules (obviously I can't afford their 25K registration)? I checked their website and didn't see any information regarding this.
Brandon Savoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

No. According to what I have read and heard you can not use the DVD logo at all unless you pay.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #3
Major Player

Check this out

http://www.dvdfllc.co.jp/logo/lg_who.html

Check out part 2.2 the only way you can legally have the DVD Logo on your discs are if you have your discs produced/duplicated by a licensee. I wish we could, but I have no idea what reprecussions they would do if a non-profit organization or very small (under $1million revenue) used it on their discs. So don't use it! If a company like Xerox or Dell used it without a license...I can imagine it would be a HUGE issue and would definately generate some lawsuits/legal action.
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Check this out

http://www.dvdfllc.co.jp/logo/lg_who.html

Check out part 2.2 the only way you can legally have the DVD Logo on your discs are if you have your discs produced/duplicated by a licensee. I wish we could, but I have no idea what reprecussions they would do if a non-profit organization or very small (under $1million revenue) used it on their discs. So don't use it! If a company like Xerox or Dell used it without a license...I can imagine it would be a HUGE issue and would definately generate some lawsuits/legal action.
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice, I'll just use my own logo then.
Brandon Savoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #6
Major Player

An alternative to the official DVD logo.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ative+dvd+logo

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #7
Regular Crew

All the different types of media have their own logo too. So a big reason you can't use the DVD-Video logo on DVD-R, DVD+R & DL blank media is because they are not DVD-Video! You have to go to replication for the disc to be DVD-Video not just burn a disc with a VIDEO_TS directory at the root,

Jake
Jake Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring