Burning HD DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 17th, 2006, 04:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Burning HD DVD

One of my disappointments burning DVD's now is when I use dissolves, the the images break up a little because of the added compression. I work around this by minimizing my dissolves, but the work I do involves the use of many pictures which I put against moving backdrops. It's natural to use dissolves, particularly w/ slower music, etc.

My question is this: when we move to HD DVD burning, will this same problem persist? I look forward to seeing my stuff in HD on a DVD but I like to think that problem would be resolved somewhat. Is the amount of compression required going to DVD simply too much to overcome this?

Thanks.
Old November 17th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #2
Major Player

What encoder are you using?
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 08:37 AM   #3
Major Player

I use Compressor and choose DVD best quality MPEG 2, 2-pass. I'd love to know if there's a way to have the software compress less when the dissolves appear, but that seems a stretch.
Old November 17th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #4
Major Player

Compressor is a lackluster MPEG encoder - especially earlier versions. Are you sure you're up-to-date with your install? Also, you may want to consider moving to a more discerning MPEG encoder. Both Main Concept and BitVice are superior MPEG encoders. I personally use BitVice for nearly every track encode.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring