Digital 8 --> PC --> DVD quality issues at

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old December 9th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #1
Digital 8 --> PC --> DVD quality issues

I have a Sony Digital 8 camcorder with video that I would like to transfer to my PC for editing and later burn to a DVD. I have been successful in my connecting the camcorder to the computer via, however my issues has been quality. Even when recording the video onto the computer using Windows Movie Maker on the highest setting, what I get would not be suitable for a DVD being watched on a large screen TV.

Is it my choice of software (WMM) or is it simply a limitation of the camcorder type (Digital 8)?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
-Mike Catalfamo
Mike Catalfamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle
Try down loading the Free Avid editor for basic capture and editing as a starter, to see if the Windows Movie maker is the problem. Remember, you want to capture everything in an .avi format for maximum quality. Digital 8 in terms of digital information is the same as MiniDV and capture to the .avi DV format. is the site for the free video editor.

I started learing about Digital production using a Digital 8 camera. The cameras were okay, and in good lighting, and with care can provide you with a decent video image. You should not expect XL2 or PD 170 results in your footage, so it is a limitation in your tool similar to what everyone deals with.

I have an FX1, that I would like to look like a Canon XL1H, but I work with what I have....
Chris J. Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring