DVD recorder question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old January 20th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD recorder question

I'm looking for a way to record from a component or Y/C SD video stream to DVD and then be able to play that DVD back from any set top or computer DVD player. Is that possible these days without authoring/encoding first and then burning? I don't need menus etc the DVD could just auto play. This will be in conjuction with a Mac, FCP, Matrox MXO video out. I'm wondering if it's possible to bypass DVDSP, iDVD and that whole process. I'm just not up to speed at all with the current crop of DVD recorders and what their capabilities are.
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Dykmans
I'm looking for a way to record from a component or Y/C SD video stream to DVD and then be able to play that DVD back from any set top or computer DVD player. Is that possible these days without authoring/encoding first and then burning?
Most standalone DVD recorders have S-video input (and audio). Just pop in a blank DVD-R, connect your S-video source and press record.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F Miller
Most standalone DVD recorders have S-video input (and audio). Just pop in a blank DVD-R, connect your S-video source and press record.

Thanks John, will the resultant disc play back automatically on a regular set top player or computer DVD player?
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
I'm looking for a way to record from a component or Y/C SD video stream to DVD and then be able to play that DVD back from any set top or computer DVD player. Is that possible these days without authoring/encoding first and then burning? I don't need menus etc the DVD could just auto play. This will be in conjuction with a Mac, FCP, Matrox MXO video out. I'm wondering if it's possible to bypass DVDSP, iDVD and that whole process. I'm just not up to speed at all with the current crop of DVD recorders and what their capabilities are.
The newer Panasonic DVD recoders have an auto play option you can select before you finalize the disc. The "pro" JVC SVHS/DVD dual deck has more control over compression rates (Panasonic offers 1 hour, 2 hour, 4 hour, 6 hour increments) but you are stuck with a crude menu.

I use DVD recorders all the time and as long as you use the S-Video inputs on the recorder, quality is excellent. Don''t use cheap DVD blanks, spend at least 35 cents per disc. Taiyo-Yuden is a very reliable brand, do a web search for them.
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Most of the newer machines also have iLink input too even better if the source is DV. Panasonics also have flexible recording time which effectively allows one to set the bit rate. For good compatibility I set the flexible record time to 1 hour 20 mins even if the program is only 20mins. This sets the bit rate lower for better compatibility on older DVD players. I use Panasonic E15 either from camcorder, deck or the timeline from NLE on PC. I mostly record on DVD-RAM discs then author with DVDLab from the disc on the PC. For long programs I find the Panasonic better than the software encoders on the PC and a lot faster!!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks John, will the resultant disc play back automatically on a regular set top player or computer DVD player?
Sorry for the delay in replying.

You shouldn't have an issue playing them. As far as your computer and/or set top player are concerned, it's just a DVD.

You do need to be certain, though, that those players can play the format of recordable DVD. e.g., DVD-R, DVD+R etc.

Early, first generation DVD players probably won't.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #7
Wrangler

John, I think you misunderstood Rich's question. I believe he's looking for a recorder that can make a disk which automatically goes into play mode when inserted in a DVD player, as opposed to showing a menu.

That would be a nice feature; my older Sony RDR-GX7 can't do this. It always displays the same ugly menu when you insert one of its disks in a player.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans
For long programs I find the Panasonic better than the software encoders on the PC and a lot faster!!!!

Ron Evans
Yes the encoding on the DVD recorders are sometimes better then what the budget priced software encoders can do. I've occasionally recorded a finished project directly on DVD and then used Cinematize to demux it and work it in DVDSP. This method also saves time creating DVDs from a client's tapes that don't need any edit work.
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #9
Wrangler

When I use the 60 minute recording mode on my Sony DVD recorder the results are excellent. Most of the time it's very hard to tell the difference between the original DV and the DVD....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring