What is the best DVD-R media? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 31st, 2007, 04:46 AM   #1
Major Player

What is the best DVD-R media?

Here is my problem, I had to re-burn a new DVD for a client because the media didn't play properly on his DVD player, I used a no-name generic DVD+R.

I went to Fry's and got a 50 pack of Memorex DVD-R's that work perfectly and the client is happy.

Now I'm finding these memorex DVD's don't play very good on my Toshiba DVD player which is about 5 years old. I tested the media in 2 other DVD players and it plays just fine. It's only dropping out with my Toshiba.

I've read mixed reviews about Memorex DVD's. Is there any true brand that will play on any DVD player? It seems like different DVD players like different brands of discs.

I find mixed reviews about every brand I look up!
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

TDK, Memorex, and Sony are some of the best brands on the market. However, you will find that other factors will influence the playability of DVDs more than the brand.

Personally I prefer DVD+R with bitsetting enabled - zero complaints since I started using TDK and Sony DVD+R blanks on my bitsetting enabled BenQ burner.
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Scott,

Take a look at digitalFAQ.com

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas
TDK, Memorex, and Sony are some of the best brands on the market. However, you will find that other factors will influence the playability of DVDs more than the brand.

Personally I prefer DVD+R with bitsetting enabled - zero complaints since I started using TDK and Sony DVD+R blanks on my bitsetting enabled BenQ burner.
I've read a lot about the bitsetting enabled function, tricking your DVD into thinking it's a DVD-ROM and such. I don't think DVD Studio Pro allows you to do this.
Old January 31st, 2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Trustee

Soooo for the vegas+DVD users out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco
I've read a lot about the bitsetting enabled function, tricking your DVD into thinking it's a DVD-ROM and such. I don't think DVD Studio Pro allows you to do this.
Can DVDA burn with a bit set? If not, do I create my rendered DVD and then burn with a different app to be able to use the bitset function?

What about mastering for a replication / duplication plant? I have not used DVDA's render to "Master" yet because I havent' seen a need. What does it do differently?

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:54 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
I think you actually do this by setting the burner's driver... someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:03 AM   #7
Major Player

Well, I just discovered that a 3hr seminar that I burnt onto a DL DVD will not play on anything!, I used a Memorex DVD+R DL and it worked fine 6 months ago, it's just been sitting in a file, so there is no reason for it not to work.

I just purchased some Verbatim DVD-R's & DVD+R DL's for my mac, I hope this stuff lasts longer than this Memorex crap.

I'm just going to use the Memorex for mailing demos, but not for finished projects!
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:53 AM   #8
Major Player

Well, the Verbatim is crap too. It freezes in my Toshiba just like the Mermorsux discs.

I looked on the inner label and apparently they are now manufactured in TAIWAN!? I thought this stuff was suppose to be the best! Now it seems it's just cheap crap like everything else. I'm returning these discs because they are only slightly better than what I've got.

Can someone please post a link to some decent recordable media?

Thanks.
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:39 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Can someone please post a link to some decent recordable media?
Do a search for "Taiyo Yuden" in this forum. Just going by what I have read around here over the last few months, they have a very good reputation.

Good luck!

- Martin
Old February 1st, 2007, 09:48 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Scott, I've been dealing with the same issues just few month back. The final quality of the burned DVD depends on many things. Yes, the blanks are very important, but so is your burner and the burner software. I tried a bunch of different blanks, both formats (-R, +R) and nothing worked well; my copies were playing on some players just fine, they didn't play on others.

So I decided to do some research on these forums and some others, and concluded that my burner was old and inadequate. Invested in a BenQ and since then I'm a happy camper and so are my clients!
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:45 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas
Scott, I've been dealing with the same issues just few month back. The final quality of the burned DVD depends on many things. Yes, the blanks are very important, but so is your burner and the burner software. I tried a bunch of different blanks, both formats (-R, +R) and nothing worked well; my copies were playing on some players just fine, they didn't play on others.

So I decided to do some research on these forums and some others, and concluded that my burner was old and inadequate. Invested in a BenQ and since then I'm a happy camper and so are my clients!
Thanks. The single layer Memorex are testing at 100% with "CD Check" software. It's the Dual Layer Memorex that seem to be BLACK DEATH. I have 2 6 month old discs that worked fine but will no longer play in ANYTHING. I don't understand it! I know most professionals stay away from the DL media when possible but I didn't realize it would degrade this fast!
Old February 2nd, 2007, 06:00 AM   #12
Regular Crew

DVD+ Bit Setting Changed

Hi Scott,

You have a set of options available to you and I have listed them in order or compatability (1 being crap and 4 being awsome...)

Before i start:

When you burn the disc you will see that your recording software will tell you at some point that it is finalising the disc. During this process some header info is copied to the disc to give it an identity. (volume name, dvd size, bit setting). The important part to note is the Bit setting. This tells the dvd player what type of disc has been inserted. A film made by Universal studios obviously uses a mastering company to mass produce discs and when this is done the bit setting is set to 'DVD ROM'. How often have you heard someone complain that the dvd they purchased didnt play???

1. Use a DVD+R disc with standard dvd writer.
This will set the bit-setting to 'DVD+R' and this is the least compatible with many players.

2. Use a DVD-R disc with standard dvd writer.
This will set the bit-setting to 'DVD-R' and this works with a much wider range of players....but importantly not all.

3. Use a DVD+R disc with standard dvd writer but Nero 6 with bit-setting set to DVD-ROM
This will set the bit-setting to 'DVD ROM' and works with almost all players but the process is done at software level and can cause failures during the burning process.

4. Use a DVD+R with a dvd writer that has has firmware flashed to hardcode the bit-setting
This sets bit-setting to DVD Rom on a hardware level during the burn process and ensures most compatability and highest success rate of burning.

I have tried many types of discs and have found the following combination very successfull (infact so successful that it has never failed...100% good burns!)

Verbatim DVD+R dvds 16x
Pioneer DVR-111D writer

Also, verbatim discs really cheap and dvd writer only costs £20!

Trust me, you will not be dissapointed..
Vince Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 06:58 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Vince, I followed you all the way till #3.

But what do you mean by "hardcore bit-setting"? Can you elaborate please? Any white papers on that?

Thanks,
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:04 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hardware / Software Bit Setting

There is two ways to change the bitsetting on a dvd, one by using the software application to burn the disc and the other to permenantly change the hardware setting of a dvd burner drive.

The cleanest and most reliable way is to change the hardware setting.

Hope that makes more sense?
Vince Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:36 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Baker
There is two ways to change the bitsetting on a dvd, one by using the software application to burn the disc and the other to permenantly change the hardware setting of a dvd burner drive.

The cleanest and most reliable way is to change the hardware setting.

Hope that makes more sense?
Is there a way to change the bit setting in DVD Studio Pro?
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring