C/D and DVD Label Installer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

C/D and DVD Label Installer

Anyone know of a machine that will take a preprinted C/D label and apply it to the C/D?

Thanks!
Ron
Ron Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 01:17 PM   #2
Trustee

You really ought to take a look at using printable media and getting a printer that prints directly on it.

Mine is getting a little old now, but the Epson Stylus Photo R300 really does a nice job and it was inexpensive.

I have never seen a label application machine.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yup. I've been using an Epson R200 for over a year and REALLY love it.
No messed up labels. No bubbles on the disc. Just hit "print" and forget it.

Sooooooo much more professional looking.
Tim OBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ditto - one thing I've noticed though - with the included software (R300) just one notch up or down in saturation will turn solid color into pastel, or vice versa - it's obvious that printable disks don't "soak up" ink like most papers :=) Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 06:55 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Edwards
Anyone know of a machine that will take a preprinted C/D label and apply it to the C/D?
I have a Fellowes CD/DVD labeler kit. Go to your local office supply store and you should still be able to find them. Includes a rather simple apparatus for applying labels to discs.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 08:14 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim OBrien
Yup. I've been using an Epson R200 for over a year and REALLY love it.
No messed up labels. No bubbles on the disc. Just hit "print" and forget it.

Sooooooo much more professional looking.
Love my R200...until I have to make a lot of copies. Then it is back to labels. Somehow Epson engineers overlooked the fact one might want to make more than one copy as a time. Comparing white printable cd/dvd's to labels in terms of image quality, the labels win every time. Much brighter colors on the labels. Haven't been able to try the other kind of inkjet printable discs yet. They are supposed to make images really pop!
Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:23 PM   #7
Trustee

I have found that printing on the R300 takes about the same amount of time as making a copy of the disk. So I just move from the recorder to the printer over and over again. It isn't that hard to click on the Print button.

Labels might have a glossier fancy finish, but I seriously doubt that I would ever take the chance with paper labels again.
Old February 4th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler
Comparing white printable cd/dvd's to labels in terms of image quality, the labels win every time. Much brighter colors on the labels. Haven't been able to try the other kind of inkjet printable discs yet. They are supposed to make images really pop!
The trick is to >make the image as good as you can in Photoshop >>FIRST<<<

I use Phillips and Taiyo-Yuden inkjet-printable discs (both white and silver) with zero problems and they are not expensive.... www.supermediastore.com is where I get my discs and inkjet cartridges - and their carts are MUCH cheaper than Epsons with great quality.
Tim OBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler
Love my R200...until I have to make a lot of copies. Then it is back to labels. Somehow Epson engineers overlooked the fact one might want to make more than one copy as a time. Comparing white printable cd/dvd's to labels in terms of image quality, the labels win every time. Much brighter colors on the labels. Haven't been able to try the other kind of inkjet printable discs yet. They are supposed to make images really pop!

Well, the truth is Epson did think of multiple copies, just not thoroughly! You can set the printing for multiple copies, but you can't change the disk fast enough to keep from getting an error message. So it is much easier to do one at a time to avoid clearing the errors and I can do them very fast by now. Did about 80 disks just a couple of weeks ago. Went great! I use cartridges bought on ebay, and printing 80+ used less than 1/3 of each cartridge.

I was getting close to running out of ink in a set of Epson’s, so I bought some aftermarket brand on ebay for a very reasonable price. I was printing when the genuines ran low, so I switched. The printer software said, “These are not Epson cartridges!” I hit OK, and continued. I could not tell any difference in the printing, except that the after markets seemed to last longer.

Used to have a CD label installer called a CD Stomper, but I just tossed it out about 8 months ago. Sorry!

Mike
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Volumn

I have an Epson to make short runs.

Is there a high volumn unit out there to print large jobs?
Ron Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Depends on the speed you need - I've been looking at an all-in-one robotic from Rimage, costs about $1400 - you stack 25 disks, load your art and disk files into the modest computer needed with the unit, push the button and go do something else while it burns, tests, rejects failures and prints the good ones.

http://www.videoguys.com/rimage.html

This is a lower price, it was $1900 a month ago. B&H had a couple of good reviews on their site but they're out of stock and out of sponsorship these days.

Here's the manual for it -

http://www.rimage.com/DAM_public/5966.pdf

But nowhere do they tell what the speed of operation is. I've not yet contacted Rimage directly to ask that question.

So far I've not been doing enough volume to warrant the expense, I've been using an R300 and R1800 (wide carriage, gloss coat in addition to 7 color) and haven't gotten around to throwing away my "stomper", but let's just say there's quite a bit of dust on it :=)

HTH... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Edwards View Post

Thanks!
Ron
Neato makes a CD applicator for applying preprinted labels to Cds. They also make the pre cut labels that can be printed on using any computer printer.
Allen W
Allen Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #13
Major Player

I'm surprised nobody has said this already, but labels tend to mess up discs, the balance gets thrown off and you end up with unplayable discs sometimes. I'd stay far, far away from labeling.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch View Post
Well, the truth is Epson did think of multiple copies, just not thoroughly! You can set the printing for multiple copies, but you can't change the disk fast enough to keep from getting an error message. So it is much easier to do one at a time to avoid clearing the errors and I can do them very fast by now.....

Mike
You poor guy, you did a bunch of copies by setting the printer to one copy per order? Ouch!

When you need to make 25 copies at a time Ignore the error message that appears after each and every copy and simply hit the flashing red middle light on the printer and it starts making the next copy instantly.
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #15
Tourist

I've been using the R300 for about a year now too and just recently started using the Taiyo Yuden Watershield DVDs. Man do they look good. Sure beats the heck out of spraying with Krylon!
Bob Gillespie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring