Capturing from DVD to edit in Pinnacle at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old February 20th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Capturing from DVD to edit in Pinnacle

I have video on a DVD from a client and I would like to know how to take video from a dvd to capture it into Pinnacle Studio AV/DV for editing?

Thanks in advance.
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I did this just the other day, and actually from a commercial video I own to use for my father in law's private birthday tribute....

I used DVDShrink, and saved the whole dvd to my hard drive using the program, then took the vob file containing the scene I wanted, and simply changed the extension to .mpeg from .vob.

You may be able to access your clients dvd directly, if it is not encrypted. You could transfer the .vob file you want to your hard drive, then rename with an .mpeg extension, and edit directly from there.

I actually converted from the .mpeg to an .avi for easier edit, but, as you know, you can edit in .mpeg in Pinnacle Studio.
Old February 21st, 2007, 08:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the tip on this.

The dvd isn't encrypted so to transfer the .vob file to hard drive, do I just copy the file and paste?

Thanks again
Lisa
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:46 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Bennett
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the tip on this.

The dvd isn't encrypted so to transfer the .vob file to hard drive, do I just copy the file and paste?

Thanks again
Lisa
Lisa:

Just copy the .vob file of the disk that you want. Each disk usually has serveral .vob files. Copy the large ones to your hard drive from the DVD, then rename each with the new .mpeg extension. I tried it last night after my first post in Pinnacle, and it worked there to.

I still thing converting after that to .avi will give you better editing capabilities.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:14 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Chris,

I'm going to try this out today. This is a big help.

Best Regards,
Lisa
Old February 25th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Trustee

Studio AV/DV? That is a really old version (or did you mean version 10?). If it is Studio AV/DV, you will need to convert to DV and you will loss some quality. If it is version 10, it can natively edit M2V and the audio, so you should not have to convert it.
George Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring